2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Tire for the Buck

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Tire for the Buck

With the bad weather starting up in the Northeast, it looks like it is time for me to invest in a new set of tires. I am looking for something that will give me good traction in the rain and the snow with an aggressive tread pattern but not so aggressive as to make alot of noise on the highways. Mud grip isn't really a concern for me as I do most of my driving over the road. Does anyone have a reccomendation of a tire that I should go with. By the way, I am looking for tires that come in 265/70 R17.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Tire for the Buck

I have had Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos for a year now. I like the rain and snow traction of these. They are not too noisy. I am a little concerned with the wear, but I have heard that Bridgestones are softer rubber, which helps traction but wears faster. So I guess if it bothers you to only get 40,000 out of a set these aren't for you. I don't know if they have the size you need. I got mine at Costco - was about $100 cheaper than anywhere else. Get the 4-ply passenger rated ones, the 6-ply are stupid expensive.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:44 PM
1500sport
Professional

Personally there is no way in hell I would put 4 ply tires on a full size truck. There is a possiblity with it being a truck that I may want to tow something and 4 plys aren't going to work.

I recently purchased the BFG All Terrains. They do not have any more road noise than my stockers did. I think they look good. I haven't been in the snow with them but in the rain they seem to hook up well. Since I've purchased them I've been noticing quite a few people around my area with them. I've been told they should get good mileage (around 50K or better) but don't know for sure. Thats just my $.02 worth.

Here is an old post I had of pics.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_291427/tm.htm

Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

I've had the Yokohama Geolander AT+II tires on my truck for a while now. Haven't had them in a lot of snow yet, I really like the wet traction they have, tread looks really agressive, makes almost no noise on the highway though. They're definitely soft, rated fer 60,000mi, I think they got the rating by making the tread blocks HUGE, almost like over-the-road truck tires.

Good price on 'em @ TireRack too:

Geolander AT+II

Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: 1500sport

Personally there is no way in hell I would put 4 ply tires on a full size truck. There is a possiblity with it being a truck that I may want to tow something and 4 plys aren't going to work.

I recently purchased the BFG All Terrains. They do not have any more road noise than my stockers did. I think they look good. I haven't been in the snow with them but in the rain they seem to hook up well. Since I've purchased them I've been noticing quite a few people around my area with them. I've been told they should get good mileage (around 50K or better) but don't know for sure. Thats just my $.02 worth.

Here is an old post I had of pics.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_291427/tm.htm
To clarify - I have 4-ply on mine and have had no problems. In his post he said he did mostly highway driving - I took that to mean he drives it to work every day like me, and doesn't do a lot of towing - like me. I have had over a ton of rock and dirt in my truck several times with no problem - I just air the tires to about 40 - 42 psi. I would put 6-ply on if my towing needs changed or if I hauled a lot of weight long distance. Not everyone uses their trucks to tow and haul stuff - some people just like driving them!

Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Tani1500
Champion

I would say bfg all terrains or mud terrains. I have procomps on mine. i would get them too. all terrain or mud. the procomp mud terrains have siffing so it handles better on wet roads.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:00 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG Mud Terrains or Kelly Safari MSR's if you don't want a mud terrain. The BFG AT's are supposed to be horrible in the mud I wouldn't want them plus they don't last much longer than the MT's. A friend had some on his S-10ZR2 atleast I think thats what they were and got stuck going down the driveway in deep snow even in 4wd. He now has the Kelly's and says they are a lot better and I have to say I like them a lot if I get an AT tire it will probably be those.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:49 AM
livinginh
Veteran

Dont forget about the Buckshot maxxis mud tires, dont know if they come in the size you want but definatly worth the money, way cheaper then any of the others names here and very aggressive but not noisey like most mud tires sound more like a A/T tire on the highway. Almost all the farmers around here use them and I have had a set of 32's on my Jeep J-10 for 2 years now and been to Oklahoma city and Colorado springs on them and still look like new, well ok not new but have very little wear to them. They are 6 ply, and cost me less then $400 mounted and balanced. As soon as I have to put tires on My Dodge Ram thats what I plan on using on it also. May not be what you are looking for but worth a look!

Old 10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
xsputts

I run, and have always run, Goodyear tires. I have had very good luck with them. I run the Wranlger AT/S which is somewhat aggressive but does not have much road noise. As far as traction, I have never been stuck with them in the snow or rain. I have done some offroading with them and they work well there too. My 2 cents.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

When I first got my truck it had the 285 BFG AT's on there and I hated them. a couple of times coming to a stop at a red light, all 4 tires locked up and I slid into the intersection (wet road btw). I've been stuckin the snow with them, never had a problem in mud.

My current tires are Toyo Open country's 295-75r16's. I've had these on my Jeep Grand Cherokee before and loved them, so much that it was a no brianer for me when it came time for tires. Never got stuck in snow, mud or loose gravel/sand. an excellent tire in my opinion for overall performance.

Quick Reply: Best Tire for the Buck