2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best way to change gear lube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:34 PM
2big2dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to change gear lube?

i dont wanna complete take the covers off the rear diff. so can i just use a lil pump and pump it out through thr plug? or loosen up the bottom of the cover?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:41 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Best way to change gear lube?

Take the covers off. That's THE BEST way to do it. Thats the only way you'll know for sure that everything is out of there (Fluid, gunk, etc.). It also gives you a chance to inspect the differential. It's not that hard of a job. The worst part is putting the cover back on...and even that's not that bad.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

cover removal is the best way. that way you can also see what's on the magnet on the bottom of the diff. to put the cover back on, just clean it up real good on the mounting surfaces and use rtv gasket maker on it. you can put your diff fluid in it right after that, then give it some time to set before you take it for a spin. it usually fully cures in 24 hours but I've test drove mine in the past in as little as 30 minutes after bolting on the cover.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 PM
2big2dodge
Professional

ok thats for telling me this stuff guys, i checked it today and it looked like it might have dirt or something in it,could had just been lil bubble i dunno. but what all should i clean up when i take the cover off?

Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 PM
1500sport
Professional

I hope I don't jinks myself but I changed the fluid by taking the cover off and reinstalled it without no extra silicone and so far its holding. But I really wouldn't recommend it. I have the sealer in case it starts leaking. It isn't a hard job. Just 12 or 14 bolts.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 AM
2big2dodge
Professional

ok thanks again u guys, i have to go to a briefing in the morning with the air force but, while i am out i am gonna stop and get the stuff and come home and do it.i hope it helps somewhat with something. i just want good fluid in it.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Have a pan under the rear end when you pop the cover off - cause all the oil comes out at once. Take all the bolts out except for one of the top ones, leave it loose (1/8" or so) to catch the cover when it pops loose. Use a screwdriver or something to gently pry the cover loose from the bottom and the oil will come out. I leave the top bolt in due to the fact that sometimes the cover will fall right off when the seal is broken. After the oil is drained, wipe everything you can get to with a clean rag, especially the square magnet in the bottom of the case. You will find powdery metal stuck to the magnet, this is normal, wipe it off. If there are chunks of metal in there - you have a problem. Investigate further. I clean the factory sealer off with a wire brush mounted on a drill, then clean the cover with a rag and some Brakleen. Use red gasket sealer to remake the seal. The rest is self explanitory........

Quick Reply: Best way to change gear lube?