2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Rammo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle

My 2000 Ram (318) idles really rough when I first start it in the morning (sounds like it's loading up), but once it warms up for a few minutes the idle mellows out and it runs smooth. Just got it a couple of months ago so it got a tune up, but it still does the same thing afterwards. If it were carberated I would think the choke is not working properly. A friend is a Ford guy and thought it sounded like a faulty oxygen sensor (that's his answer to most problems - even with his girlfriend), but another friend vetoed that idea because it only runs poorly when it sits for a few hours but runs great once it warms up.... Any ideas?

Old 10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Default RE: Rough Idle

Are you losing any oil, burning on startup, check the PLENUM. Look down the Throttle body with mirror and see if you can see oil seeping in. Mine had this problem. Or it could be a MISFIRE, does the "check engine" light come on at all. Mine smoothed out, but not completely when warmed up also.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Rammo
Default RE: Rough Idle

The check engine light hasn't come on yet and it doesn't seem like a misfire from what I've experienced with other vehicles (had an old Ford truck that needed a new ignition system/distributor for way too long).

I am kind of an idiot when it comes to this newer stuff - what is the Plenum and where do I find it in relation to the throttle body? The motor was steam cleaned when I got it from the dealer and is still clean as a whistle - there is no oil visibly leaking anywhere near the intake or throttle body that I have seen so far (level on dipstick hasn't moved a bit in 2K miles). Thanks for helping out a moron (this Mopar stuff is a bit foreign to me but I'm learning - even installing a new air filter was a new experience)!!

Quick Reply: Rough Idle