2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Identifying off road springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Cracksrubi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying off road springs

I've searched a lot and can't find my answer. I bought a 99 dodge 15004x4 it doesn't have the off road package as factory. I already checked the rpo's. It sits nearly1.5 inches higher in the front but has a 3inch block in the rear. The block doesn't look like most factory blocks I've seen but the u-bolts do. Front spring look factory and have a little rubber bushing oozing out the top. The reason I'm asking is because I've started the shackle flip in the rear I'm thinking about ordering a 2or 3 inch leveling kit to add to the front to have it all be level again but I think you can't put a spacer on top of off road springs. Any help clearing this up would be great

Old 01-10-2015, 08:41 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Originally Posted by Cracksrubi
I've searched a lot and can't find my answer. I bought a 99 dodge 15004x4 it doesn't have the off road package as factory. I already checked the rpo's. It sits nearly1.5 inches higher in the front but has a 3inch block in the rear. The block doesn't look like most factory blocks I've seen but the u-bolts do. Front spring look factory and have a little rubber bushing oozing out the top. The reason I'm asking is because I've started the shackle flip in the rear I'm thinking about ordering a 2or 3 inch leveling kit to add to the front to have it all be level again but I think you can't put a spacer on top of off road springs. Any help clearing this up would be great
The rubber thing 'oozing out' should be the isolator.

I don't see why you can't put spacers on top off offroad springs (coils)?

We do it on Jeeps all the time to either level it or lift it an inch or two.

Just don't forget to make sure the brake lines still reach at full axle droop, and to extend the bumpstops.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Cracksrubi

I've read that the stock geometry is supposed to max out around 3 inches so with a 2 inch spacer that should put me at 4inches total lift. I'm gonna build an adjustable track bar but I'm just worried about trying to put too much on the geometry

Old 01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that the stock geometry is supposed to max out around 3 inches so with a 2 inch spacer that should put me at 4inches total lift. I'm gonna build an adjustable track bar but I'm just worried about trying to put too much on the geometry
You are quite correct. Anything past 3" and you will need to start dropping parts and need new control arms to recenter the axle properly. New c-arms, drop pitman, adjustable track bar or drop bracket, need longer shocks. At 3" you also need an adjustable track bar, as the stock is 1/2" - 3/4" to short, and does not properly center the axle. Buy an adjustable bar... dont make one. Your insurance company nor the DMV would be impressed with you if an accident occurred to a part you made failing, I just cannot see anything good coming from that risk. Save yourself the work and possible legal trouble. Don't take that the wrong way btw! Not doubting your abilities, just wouldnt want you to get in legal trouble if it can be avoided. Brake lines arent really an issue until you get to 5" of suspension lift. If you want to lift the front higher, I would just buy 3" lift springs and appropriate shocks.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Cracksrubi,

Good for you on tackling the shackle flip. What kit you go with or are you doing a DIY version? I've done the BDS one on my ORE. Sounds like you have some knowledge on mods.

The ORE springs are effectively 2500 gas springs. No special marking other than the black color. Also, the ORE came out in 2000 for the 2nd Gen.

HillBillE is right about the isolator and common practice of the spacers. I ran a 2.5" Hell Bent Spacer on my ORE springs for a couple years. They are available if interested.

If you'd like some particular pictures, then let me know as I've documented things quite extensively.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Cracksrubi

I built my own out of 3/16 plate and 1/2 inch grade 8 hardware I've got it back to the stock rake I think. The front fenders sits at 40 and 7/8 and the rear sits at 43inches on 305/70/16 bald mismatched tires. I'm trying to set the suspension the way I want before I buy new tires or get it aligned. I'm thinking 2.5 inch front spacer and 2inch zero rate block to center the rear axle

Last edited by Cracksrubi; 01-11-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM
HillBillE
Professional

That sits nice, great fab work too!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed it's sitting pretty good. For the flip, it's a 1" zero rate with the 1.5" or 1" offset. You'll also need shims...roughly 5* to 7*. That's assuming you have a driveshaft that has slip yoke in the tcase. Did you already flip the ubolts?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:39 AM
Cracksrubi

Got new rough country 3 inch block and u bolts and zero rate will be here in a few days. I reused the factory u bolts till my zero rate gets here( I'm not driving it). I have a 2.5 inch spacer coming also. I think I gonna add a leaf and zero rate to the pack don't use the block and do the flip with RC u bolts.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 PM
Cracksrubi

Love the way it sits now got the spacer installed and finished the rear. Jeep has 8.5 inch long arm kit and 38s to give you a height perspective

Quick Reply: Identifying off road springs