2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 PM
jlgrand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 1500 stalling problem

Search everywhere I could find for a similar condition. If I take my foot off the gas the truck will go to die. Does not happen all the time. Now here is what seems strange. If you see it is going to die you can press on the brake pedal and it will come back to life. It can be just about at zero rpms and hitting the brakes will bring it back up to 800-900 rpms. Then today it started stalling and would have to turn off the ignition and then restart it. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:07 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First remove and clean the IAC valve on the throttle body. It's job it to control idle. They get very dirty and need cleaning. Do not push the plunger in or out just clean the sensor and the TB.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 AM
jlgrand
Default Truck will now not start at all

Engine cranks just fine. Put hand on asd and fuel relay and they both click when the key is turned on. Tried to spray starting fluid and it did no good. Not getting spark but seems the ignition system is turning on.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If the IAC isn't opening far enough, the engine won't draw enough air to get a combustible mixture. Will it start right back up if you just step on the gas slightly, and hold the throttle cracked open?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

Not getting spark but seems the ignition system is turning on.
The ASD relay supplies (+) positive power to the coil and a few other things. The PCM supplies the (-) negative to fire the coil. If the PCM doesn't get a signal from the cam and crank sensor it will not fire. Do you have any codes?
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM
jlgrand

so far I have a code 17 and code 42. Had to recharge battery and will be trying again in a few minutes to see if the codes come back.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:03 PM
jlgrand

Put the recharged battery in and the old codes were removed. Tried to start several times and it did not create more codes.

Test voltage going to coil. Have 12v on one wire when key is turned on and 12v to other wire while engine is cranking. Plug things back in and tried the starting fluid again and nothing. Just keeps cranking and not firing.

If I am getting power to the coil at both wires, does that eliminate the cam and crank sensors and the asd being bad?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by jlgrand
Put the recharged battery in and the old codes were removed. Tried to start several times and it did not create more codes.

Test voltage going to coil. Have 12v on one wire when key is turned on and 12v to other wire while engine is cranking. Plug things back in and tried the starting fluid again and nothing. Just keeps cranking and not firing.

If I am getting power to the coil at both wires, does that eliminate the cam and crank sensors and the asd being bad?
as far as i know the PCM will use crank/cam to pulse the coil, so I'm pretty sure power to the coil indicates cam/crank signal. Have you pulled a plug wire and checked for spark to be sure no spark?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM
issakar
Captain

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...ition-coil-1#3 check this out, it goes over how the ignition coil functions, from key to crank/cam to PCM, etc.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
jlgrand

I want to thank all for the help. The truck is running now but after trying everything else, this is what worked.

I reached under the bed of the truck and squeezed the connector to make sure it was not loose. Also I turned the fuel filter/pressure regulator so it pointed towards the drivers side. I am not sure what difference that would make, but at this point I was hoping anything would work.

Low and behold, it fired right up. The question I am researching now is why?

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 stalling problem