2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replace Fuel Sending Unit or Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I hear a lot of people bad mouthing Air tex. I have used them in several cars and not have had one issue. My ram has one that was replaced about 2.5 years ago. I looked at the reviews on amazon and only one person had an issue. No replacement part is going to be issue free. Some more than others. I think they are most used so they get the most bad mouthing when they break. I know Chrysler used a few different manufactures for their fuel pumps. Carter being one of them. When i replaced mine i couldn't find a name anywhere. If i where you i would stick with the well known brands. This is just my $.02 and my opinion. I'm all for indestructible replacement parts!!!! Or ones that will last. I had more water pumps replaced they i can remember. So far Bosch is the only one that lasted past 5 years. Yes it failed and i got a replacement free but that's another story.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I hear a lot of people bad mouthing Air tex. I have used them in several cars and not have had one issue. My ram has one that was replaced about 2.5 years ago. I looked at the reviews on amazon and only one person had an issue. No replacement part is going to be issue free. Some more than others. I think they are most used so they get the most bad mouthing when they break. I know Chrysler used a few different manufactures for their fuel pumps. Carter being one of them. When i replaced mine i couldn't find a name anywhere. If i where you i would stick with the well known brands. This is just my $.02 and my opinion. I'm all for indestructible replacement parts!!!! Or ones that will last. I had more water pumps replaced they i can remember. So far Bosch is the only one that lasted past 5 years. Yes it failed and i got a replacement free but that's another story.
After having several failed fuel pumps within three months of installation, everyone at the shop I worked at gave up on Air-Tex. I have had far too many bad experiences with them, and read about MANY more, to ever trust, or recommend, their pumps. I just won't do it.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

In general, of the cheap brands, AirTex is not that bad... there are worse.
If you're changing a IAT sensor and you want a cheap part, go for AirTex... if it does fail and has to be replaced, no big deal... cheap part, easy access.
But if a fuel pump fails, it is not a cheap part, and it is not an easy replacement... the $30-$50 you save on the first pump seems like nothing when you repeat the job the second time.
It is not that we're anti AirTex, we're just trying to pass on some words of wisdom based on a collective experience... this experience says skip AirTex fuel pumps.
Some people get away with it, many don't... if you feel you need to embark on your own learning curve, you're free to do so.

As a side note on water pumps; for me, the factory water pump made it over 104k, and the Gates replacement I installed is still holding in at over 180k (76k+ on the Gates).

Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Really would be nice if one of the aftermarket manufactures would warranty their parts for more than a year or two. I will pay the price!!!! Just give us quality parts that last!!!! My water pump was not leaking but the bearings where making some noise. See how long the replacement lasts.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If they made quality parts, they wouldn't be able to sell you a new one every few years.....

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its hit or miss with the airtex, ive had my replacement airtex fuel pump in for quite a while. it works well. i dont know what to tell ya.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
its hit or miss with the airtex, ive had my replacement airtex fuel pump in for quite a while. it works well. i dont know what to tell ya.
And that is exactly what we're trying to point out to Texas Sparta... save a couple of $ and take your chances, but be prepared to pay again in both time and money (fare more than you saved).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

If they made quality parts, they wouldn't be able to sell you a new one every few years.....
Well as far as my water pump it's their loss because it's a lifetime warranty and i replaced it once. Problem i have is the labor to do it again. Thay should reimburse me for the labor because it's their part that failed! See want happens in three more years. I think they should do the same for fuel pumps. Say X amount of years or X amount of miles you get a replacement if it fails. At least you would get a new pump out of them.

Quick Reply: Replace Fuel Sending Unit or Fuel Pump?