2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lighted key ring...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:28 PM
MrGman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, I saw that info that Dodge stopped running the wires to it. I know mine works, it's just that the bulb burned out about a month ago. Going to try and deal with it tomorrow...

Old 04-29-2017, 12:31 AM
Jason Jd Dallenbach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge 3500 wiring in leds with door light switch.

I dont know if anyone has bothered to mention this (and please correct me if im wrong), These trucks use the ground wire through the computer as the switch to activate dome light. I fought with my truck for hours the other night because i couldnt get my leds to work. While talking to a friend of mine i realized today what i was doing wrong, trying to use the wires from the door switch itself. WRONG!!!! Pulled door sill panel an kick plate on driver side, cut back black tape find yellow wire (which is a switched through the ecm) this is ground, find pink wire thats 12volt constant. Butt connectors are a real pain here because theres only so much wire you have to play with. If you can find the 3 way butt connectors that will work better. Install wires an away you go. ......

Old 11-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Jimmy Peabody
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 ram . The problem is in the forward fuse box! I don't have a P.O.J. bcm. It is a shutdown relay for the halo ring lightbulb. You have to unscrew the fuse block to get it removed. Mine was staying on then the lightbulb blew out but looked normal. (Tiny little sucker) . Then when I tested the darn socket ? There was voltage showing 12.7 volts !! I bought new light and installed it . But it didn't light up at all. So I tore my dash apart looking for a bcm/ tcm that was not there 😕😡😳 ! It is called a thermal shutdown timer/ relay. It is connected to your dome light to the lighted key ring on your ignition. It is a longer narrow cylinder made of (aluminum? . It can be very deceptive to diagnose. Sometimes they can be fixed easy. I hear they stay on for 1- 20 minutes? They use about the same watts as a large bulb just to operate themselves (they have/ use a heating filament) I made mine so it shuts off after 8 seconds. Think that you have 5-6 dome lights on when the door is open. That is how many watts that are used . I don't know about later models . I only have a second Gen.

Quick Reply: lighted key ring...