2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 11:51 PM
xthehavokx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Issues

1 - Just replaced steering rack in my plow truck. 99 1500 360 46re. Pulls hard to the right and hop's hard at 30-40. Tires are straight, and ball joints are tight. Track bar is tight. I can toe out my tires to where there is a 2 inch difference between front and rear of the tires and she goes straight but hit some ice and the front will shift a foot and it wonders. Pulling the tires in closer to straight makes it pull harder to the right. I can get the tires within 1/32" difference of toe and she will take highway right hand bends by itself. Didnt pull before the new steering rack. Rack is all moog.

2 - 46re disengages tc in final gear (anything above 45 mph) when letting off the throttle, sometimes it'll downshift out of overdrive as well (essentially downshifting twice) just by letting off the throttle 1/8" to slow down 1 mph and will upshift right away. Fluid is fine, bands are fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Take it in, and get it aligned.

That's normal behavior for TCC.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:34 PM
xthehavokx

Im not going to spend the money on a truck that will just be for spare parts in a year or 2. I just need to know all the points of adjustment for camber, caster and toe. The toe is fine and toe wont make it pull in either direction anyway. It must be camber or caster alignment. Thats what i need to know how to do.

And for the TC issue thats not normal. Normally when you let off the throttle it disengages tc but it wont downshift or flare 500 or more rpms. I can hit a 2% downgrade and it will downshift twice (5-4-3) and upshift twice right away (3-4-5) without ever moving the throttle. Itll do the same thing if i try slowing down 1 mph while only moving the pedal out 1/8 of an inch, but only in "5th" gear (tc lock).

Note people get mad when i say 5th gear, but thats basically what it is. It goes 1-2-3-OD-OD TC Lock. Which equals 5.

Last edited by xthehavokx; 11-19-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. It goes 1-2-3-TCC-O/D. TCC is a small drop, maybe 200 RPM. O/D is a significant drop......

You don't wanna spend 60 bucks for an alignment? On a truck you plan to drive a couple more years??? Alignment is precise. You aren't even going to come close doing it by eye, and how much time do you wanna spend tweaking it, before you get something thats driveable? How much is your time worth?

As for the shifting, when mine was super-sensitive to throttle position, replacing the TPS solved it.

The following users liked this post:
xthehavokx (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:36 PM
xthehavokx

I have read that 2000 and up 46re's shift 1-2-3- 3 TC Lcok - OD TC lock, and 94-99 shifts 1-2-3-OD-OD TC Lock. I cant remember where i read that so im not sure, but either way my point was that there is esentially 5 gears even though its only a 3 speed with a OD unit on the back. The TPS is new but its a China garbage knock off from napa, so maybe ill get one from my buddies scrap yard and give that a shot.

For the steering issue, no i just want it better than what it is but id keep the way it is before if took it to an alignment shop, which the cheapest is 85 by me i called around. I have 3 of these trucks and im going to get more. I get these trucks for a couple hundred dollars appiece. I only drive this one for plowing in my small town and only in winters, maybe a 1000 miles per year give or take. When i get one shipped from below the salt belt that will be my new plow truck and this will just sit and ill pull whatever i need off this one and my spare plow truck. Which is why i wasnt shy about putting a 400 dollar moog steering rack in a 500 dollar truck. Itll get used, but might get put in a different truck. Im thinking this truck has aftermarket adjustable ball joints, i was looking at my other trucks and their tires are straight up and down while this one has lots of negitive camber. Im assumbing the caster is fixed so that probably cant be adjusted, and camber can only be adjusted if its an adjustable upper ball joint id imagine. I have never worked on a front end of one these other than brakes and a couple axle shaft u joints so i figured id ask on here if there was anything obvious i was missing.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, my experience is based on a 96, and 98 truck. 00 and later may be different, I don't know.

You would think it would be hard to screw up a TPS....... but, with so much of our manufacturing moving to china, I have seen a MAJOR drop in quality of parts over the last decade.... It's depressing.

xthehavokx (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:32 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Caster is adjustable by the lower control arm bolt. Camber is non adjustable from the factory unless you get adjustable ball joints. My 01 & 02 shift 1-2-3-TCC-OD

xthehavokx (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:44 PM
Jimmy Peabody
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe wheel bearing? Brake caliper stuck/ bent?

xthehavokx (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 01:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Jack up the front, stomp on the brakes a couple times, then try and spin the front wheels. See if they are more reluctant than they should be.

xthehavokx (11-20-2020)

Quick Reply: 2 Issues