2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dana 44 front axle issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 44 front axle issue

Hey guys its been a while since iv posted anything. Just got a smart phone and a new house so finally I can get back on the forum. I ran into a 4x4 problem. Its been kicking in and out of 4x4 under heavy load. I took the vacume actuator off and what I found wasent good... The intermediate shaft between the differential and passenger axle shaft has so much play.. There is a clip attached to a thin housing, looks like park of a bearing, that just slides around on the intermediate shaft.. Is there a bearing that hold the intermediate shaft tight? Also the passenger axle shaft has a ton of play as well. And play I mean with the actuator off in 2wd I grab the collar and can move the end of the shaft up and down and side to side a lot... Am I looking at a complete axle tear down? Or is it more realistic to look for another axle?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

There are two bushings in there. One supports the inner axle, (and was at one time a roller bearing.....) there is another bushing that goes on a nipple on the end of the stub axle, and inserts into a hole in the inner axle, that keeps things aligned. You have to pull the outer stub axle to get at them. Not too bad of a job. Might just as well install a new seal while you are in there.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:42 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There are two bushings in there. One supports the inner axle, (and was at one time a roller bearing.....) there is another bushing that goes on a nipple on the end of the stub axle, and inserts into a hole in the inner axle, that keeps things aligned. You have to pull the outer stub axle to get at them. Not too bad of a job. Might just as well install a new seal while you are in there.
Ok so I take passenger axle shaft out, vacuum actuator off and does that intermediate shaft slide out to? Somehow the little tabs or weights on the end of the actuator fork are gone.. I'm gonna buy a posi lock and new fork.. But its pretty dirty in there from all the mudding iv done so I wanna clean the axle tube out.. I'll call Napa and see if they sell those bushings. When you said, there was a roller bearing at one time, I'm looking to buy one of those too?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There shouldn't be any dirt inside the cad housing.... If there is, I would pull the cover off the diff, flush it out good, and put in new fluid.

yeah, intermediate axle slides right out, once everything else is out of the way. May do horrible things to the seal though. (which is why I recommend replacing it) having the cover off will make putting it back in easier too.

Bearing or bushing, I don't know what year it changed. Either will work, you only need one or the other, not both.

The little pads on the end of the fork are usually the first victim of anything that happens in there. (OH NO! Someone SMILED at me. *disintegrate*......) I *think* they are still available..... If the fork itself is trashed though, just replace it.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There shouldn't be any dirt inside the cad housing.... If there is, I would pull the cover off the diff, flush it out good, and put in new fluid.

yeah, intermediate axle slides right out, once everything else is out of the way. May do horrible things to the seal though. (which is why I recommend replacing it) having the cover off will make putting it back in easier too.

Bearing or bushing, I don't know what year it changed. Either will work, you only need one or the other, not both.

The little pads on the end of the fork are usually the first victim of anything that happens in there. (OH NO! Someone SMILED at me. *disintegrate*......) I *think* they are still available..... If the fork itself is trashed though, just replace it.
Dude that helps a lot thankyou!! Wear would you recommend buying this bushing or bearing. Guys at Napa in town are clueless. I did find good info on quad4x4.com too. And I think you already said this but will the outer passenger axle shaft take a bushing too? Because that shaft has play in it too

Old 02-19-2015, 01:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a little nipple on the end of the outer shaft, that fits inside the inner axle, with a bushing between them, to keep things lined up. It will become obvious when you have it in your hand.

Have a look here. (in case you haven't found it already) Read thru it, that will get you what you need.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:10 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Peruse through this >>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3...ew?usp=sharing

yours should start on page 41, cant go wrong with DANA part #s
page 41 is the PDF page#, it really is page 15. LOL

and for future reference the 44 differential service manual here>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by VEETEN; 02-21-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 front axle issue