2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sport Headlight Conversion: Hi-Beam Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport Headlight Conversion: Hi-Beam Issue?

I have recently done the sport headlight conversion with 2x relay harnesses from LMC. The lights work amazing in low beam, however are a bit sub-par when switched to high beam. When I push and hold the stalk to the "momentary" position, as if to flash the high beams, the lights get brighter and angle up slightly as I would expect them to. They only act this way in the "momentary" position. When I click the stock backward to switch the highs on, one set of beams seems to shoot up and the other shoots down, leaving somewhat of an an unlit patch in front of the truck.

To my knowledge I have wired these correctly, as low beam works perfect for both sets. I'm wondering if it is normal operation for the "momentary" high beams to look drastically different than the "switched" high beams, as I would like the high beams to perform as if in the momentary position.

Just to add a few things:
-The lights are aimed correctly
-I have checked the wiring again and believe it to be correct
-I do have the relay mod done to keep fog lights on while high beams are on (not so sure that this affects anything)
-The lenses are Eagle Eyes (maybe the reflectors are junk?)

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The connectors for 9004 and 9007 are identical, but the bulbs are different - meaning the pin out is different. The ground on one is in the middle, but on one side for the other.

Check and make sure both are wired right.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:37 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response, I was aware before starting this and went out for a few hours to diagnose. I have been doubting myself this whole time for no reason, I was checking continuity for different coloured wires I use to extend the trigger wire, triple checked the relay wiring and headlight socket wiring and made sure I was looking at the wiring diagrams from the correct perspective. Tried firing the lights separately and the 9007's were on high's normally and low's when I switched to high beam. All of my wiring was fine according to this diagram I was using:

Turns out I put far too much trust in (seemingly reputable) sources on the internet. There's a bunch of these wiring diagrams floating around which are the same as this and INCORRECT. I was at the point in troubleshooting where I thought Eagle Eyes manufactured the 9007 socket for these housings upside down. This is the CORRECT diagram for the 9004 / 9007 differences. Note the reversed 9007 high beam / low beam wiring :

Just swapped the trigger wire leads around an hour ago and everything works as it should. Lesson learned: just because it's on the internet does NOT mean it's right.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that really sucks when you're going off the assumption that the part is right.

Quick Reply: Sport Headlight Conversion: Hi-Beam Issue?