2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble Cranking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You can start by stating what's going on correctly. No one can help you if you contradict yourself. Is the engine turning over or not? Saying it will not crank and then saying it turns over fine leads to confusion. So, that being said, when you turn the key to start, does the starter engage the flywheel and turn the engine over (crank)? Or does it just click and nothing happens? We are all here trying to help. No need to get defensive. If I cannot understand you, yes, I cannot help you but I want to help you. So you have to help me help you.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:10 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've translated much worse . I find the best response when not fully understood to start with " If I am reading you right , ......" but always include a response to what I conceive as the issue .

OP , the guys on this topic are just trying to help . They aren't trying to pick on your statement for kicks . We all have our own terminology . If someone asks for clarity , give it . It won't take anymore time than what you replied with . I see these guys post regularly , they only want to help .

Crank sensor is certainly a common issue . Usually , it fails all together , however , I have seen when it gets so dirty , it doesn't work properly . It's a magnetic pick-up so , after the years , it can become covered in tiny metal particles , oil and dirt , and not give up the proper signal . Hers some pics to show what I mean . This I pulled recently .
Name:  DSC06667_zpsevhk21bn.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  68.2 KB

after it was wiped down
Name:  DSC06668_zpsudrn2qg9.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  68.8 KB

showing the magnetic strength
Name:  DSC06669_zps6jmydo7f.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  95.5 KB

How about those tune up details ? When , and what was done ?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM
2001Off-Road

When this issue happens, my truck with crank, but it will not start. It cranks well, and the battery seems to deliver plenty of power because when this happens, it usually takes a while to crank. A weak battery would not hold up as long as it takes to start. However, I did notice that the posts are pretty corroded.
As far as a tune up, I changed the plugs and wires about a year ago, but that was about as far as I took it. Thank you for the pictures of the Crank sensor. Where is that dude located? I will look and see if that is the problem.

JKeaton, Sorry if my terminology is not right. I will try to fix that. However, I do like to be cussed at. Perhaps you could use a little consideration when dealing with others. Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 AM
2001Off-Road

Also, I am going to clean the battery post.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
2001Off-Road

OneGoodMason. I looked online and found where the sensor is located. I will be going out shortly to inspect it. Thanks again for your info and pictures.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Flue
Veteran

If you end up replacing the CKPS find a helper! this thing is a real bear to replace in the dark and in the cold, while laying in a snow drift (uphill both ways too). The Plug is more than likely drivers side just a few inches from the distro.

There are two versions of the ckps, auto and manual. One has an off-center alignment tab, white and is manual trans. Black and center is auto. Don't go through the hassle only to have to do it again.

I did, but I think deep down I'm a masochist and love to punish myself.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 PM
2001Off-Road

I located, what I think is the Crank sensor. It is on the passenger side, kind of off in behind the motor, right up under the tranny fluid check stick. It has two bolts. one is a regular bolt head, and the other seems to be a hex head...does that sound right?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

Yep. Both bolts should have the hex hole in it.... it's fun to get to, ain't it.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

it's fun to get to, ain't it.
Fun is an understatement! LOL I think i put the bolt in the hole on the cps then installed it. It's not easy either way you look at it.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:40 AM
2001Off-Road

Here is an update. Yesterday morning, it did it again. This time, the engine would not start. so, I took the wires off of the battery and clean all areas with a wire brush. I hooked them back on the then it started. Let's hope that this was the issue. I am not looking forward to changing out the CPS. I have this sinking feeling that I will eventually have to though.

Quick Reply: Trouble Cranking...