2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for transcase 47RE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

It's just as i stated earlier, It's the overrunning clutch. It may look like a bearing but it is a lot of rollers and springs. I had one of these go in a 727. It cracked the housing similar to yours. If you are not familiar the new style transmissions are based of the 727 so it looks very similar. There are aftermarket ones that bolt in and are stronger than the press in style that Chrysler used. I dont think you can use that style on yours because it looks pretty bad. Hope you can find one.

This is a bolt in one, See the bolt holes.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:28 AM
groenberg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it is called an overrunning clutch? I thought it was a bearing, as you said, it looks just like one. Yeah the repairkit he ordered from usa was a bolt in one. And he said that if often looks worse than it is So when i showed him these pictures of the cracks he said that it was not a problem.

Anyway, i cant wait to drive it again!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

So it is called an overrunning clutch? I thought it was a bearing, as you said, it looks just like one
It's called an overrunning clutch or sprag. It uses rollers to keep the center section turning in one direction. If you look at the second pic it will only allows clockwise rotation.
So when i showed him these pictures of the cracks he said that it was not a problem.
Well if he can get it centered in the correct position and the bolts hold it it shouldn't be. If it where mine i would look for a new case and put the bolt in clutch in that.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
If it where mine i would look for a new case and put the bolt in clutch in that.

Yes, this one is going in the trash since he couldn't fix it and I can't sell it. Well, hopefully i have found one now (horatios).
But i don't know if i'm going to put a bolt in clutch in it since it costs about $450 to get it done.

The guy who's gonna put together the gearbox said that the clutch breaks when you put in reverse while still going forward.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Well it's a weak point never the less. I never priced them but i don't see it being that much. Will be a bit more labor to one in. I'll look around an see it i can get some prices. If you can get it along with the case the builder might give you a break on the price to put it all together. Take your old case to a scrap yard. You will get a few bucks for it. Not sure how many of them are in Sweden.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
Well it's a weak point never the less. I never priced them but i don't see it being that much. Will be a bit more labor to one in. I'll look around an see it i can get some prices. If you can get it along with the case the builder might give you a break on the price to put it all together. Take your old case to a scrap yard. You will get a few bucks for it. Not sure how many of them are in Sweden.

Thanks! We have some scrap yards but then i'll have to freight it back to me which costs about $60, and then i think i have lost more than i can sell it for here, unfortunetly, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do you need that stuff too? It's rolling around the floor of my truck right now, I can certainly package it up and ship it with the case, it weighs hardly anything.

Or go with the bolt-in one, if you've already bought it.

Not broken:

Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by horatio102
So do you need that stuff too? It's rolling around the floor of my truck right now, I can certainly package it up and ship it with the case, it weighs hardly anything.

Or go with the bolt-in one, if you've already bought it.

Not broken:

Sorry, i can't see your picture.

I would, however, need that gearwheel that is in the rear axle, ABS trigger, do you know which one i mean, sorry for being a little unclear.

And the female part for the belt clicker on the drivers seat.

Have any of those?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:13 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have either at the moment, but I may be able to locate them. The ABS tone ring would be something you'd want to get new. Randy's (ringpinion.com) sells them for about $30.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Thats fine. I'll buy them in sweden. Can you ship on monday with usps horatio?

Quick Reply: Looking for transcase 47RE