2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cranks wont start tested everything HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:02 AM
ornery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks wont start tested everything HELP

truck is 2001 ram 1500 5.9l v8 - engine under suspicion now as original or not so year could be off affecting everything?

short history - we had truck 3 weeks before it died. kid we got it from claims the reason the title showed he only had it 4 months was it was in wifes name before that yet they are still together ( I guess I should have seen the red flag ) so my quandary is what is and has been wrong that he got it running long enough to unload it on me.

problem is crank and no start
truck died sounding like an out of gas on highway - got towed home as had just fueled. we are eliminating contaminated fuel as total failure at once and failure to start with ether. just tossing out initial symptoms
replaced

it did not set any trouble codes - we have a code reader

computer ordered programmed to VIN as well as a new crank sensor on friends suggested - which did not work so the serious quadry began

======== tested with friends help

coil seems good - spark at all 8 plugs

fuel pump - to much fuel getting to engine so fuel pump is not the problem

#2 and #4 injector at random - measured 11.8 ohm
every fuse has been meter tested as good - at least on 2 boxes found
plugs removed - shows flooding - cleaned dried replaced - bare hint of start like maybe 2 cylinders kicked - so no help-
both 02 sensors meter checked

TPS - closed position is 0.64 wide open 3.81

fuel pump relay disconnect - one false think of start on ether

MAP sensor - input volt 5.0 output 4.7 - 1.1 with vacuum

to much fuel - why? signal is from PCM and it is new and old one likely was good just first thought suggested to us

noting parasitic ( battery ) drain seems a bit hit

it is possible engine had been changed and we are laboring under bad info as 2001 engine - that said what other things should be looked for? where would engine serial number be assuming we can decode that successfully

thanks much all

Last edited by ornery; 03-15-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

TPS should be under 1 volt at closed throttle.

Will your code reader read data as well? If so, check and see what the PCM thinks engine temp is.

What year is your truck?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 AM
ornery

corrected symptoms - tps is 0.6

will see what code reader says and reply - probably tomorrow

truck is 2001 although I am wondering if engine is. going to try and find serial # and check if possible

please please keep suggestions coming

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be a casting number on the block somewhere.... might even be a date stamp. Engine doesn't really matter though, it's the sensor that need to be for the correct year.

Did this truck ever run good? Is this a new development?

If you stomp the pedal to the floor, and crank the engine, will it start? Or even try?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 AM
ornery

ran for 3 weeks after purchase and sounded great. just had an RUT RO thought . we bought new PCM programmed to the VIN of the truck - if we have wrong engine will that affect matters? of course it did not start before that so? once after plugs dried cleaned and put back did it "burp" on ether - just that hint it was considering starting - once only. going to have the guys stomp the pedal - should they ad ether or not at that point or try both ways?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Skip the ether.

What I suspect, given your symptoms, is the coolant temp sensor is bad, disconnected, or some such. That makes the PCM think it is REALLY cold, and it just DUMPS gas into the cylinders. Fouls plugs in short order. Stomping the pedal to the floor (and holding it there) puts the PCM into "clear-flood" mode, and dramatically cuts back on fuel. If it starts that way, but, dies shortly after you let off the gas..... temp sensor is a likely culprit. Being as your truck is an 01, there is only one sensor, so, might wanna have a look at it, just for giggles. The problem might be obvious. (yeah, I know, that would be far to easy. )

Old 03-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

coil seems good - spark at all 8 plugs
failure to start with ether.
With a spark and either (if it's not flooded) it should do something. Pull the plugs and let it sit over night(dry out), then put them back in and pull the fuel pump relay. Then give it shot of either and try to start it. If it starts then put the relay back in and see what happens.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 PM
ornery
Default please keep the ideas coming!

the guys had removed dried and cleaned plugs. disconnect fuel relay and gave it a shot of ether. that is the only bump it gave - once only - it did not start. I will ask them to try that again just for info sakes. I'll be back to y'all and much thanks for the ideas and help - really and truly guys

Old 03-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Open the blades on the throttle body then shoot some in it. No too much just enough to get it to start. May need to open the throttle a bit also when cranking it. It should attempt to start or start and run for a second.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 PM
superfluous
Rookie

I had the same problem once, problem ended up being a weak coil, it fooled me because I checked for spark, it was sparking. Didn't notice that spark was yellowish not blue, was too weak to run the engine.

Quick Reply: cranks wont start tested everything HELP