2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 dodge ram 1500 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015 | 05:31 PM
hamiltonj
|
Default 2000 dodge ram 1500 Issues

Hey guys and gals, New to the forum and wanted to say hello and see if anyone can give me some insight. I am having some issues with my truck I just got.

Background on this beast includes:

I purchased this truck for $500.00 was told only the transfer case needed to be replaced and that should drive after that. Long story short and 2 weeks later, here i am scratching my head.

Dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 (with 1/2 doors) if that matters?
165,372 original miles
Automatic
Replaced transfer case with exact match. Works perfect.
Oil & filter change
Transmission fluid & filter change.
Radiator flush
Replaced left and right tie rods
Replaced rusted bolts ect...
New battery
Replaced u-joints

So that's just some of the things I remember off hand. The issue I am having is that when I put it in drive it seems to be starting out in 2nd or 3rd. I had the mechanic hook it to a transmission diagnostic and he said it came back with no errors. the instrument cluster also has an issue. It reads no bus on the odometer and all the guages drop to zero and then miraculously start working a few seconds later. He stated that it was a computer plorblem. I am not that mechanicly inclined but I am not for certain the transmission would have anything to do with the computer would it? Any information you have would be helpful. Seems this truck is costing me more that intended.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 dodge ram 1500 Issues-20150308_134504.jpg   2000 dodge ram 1500 Issues-20150308_134445.jpg  

Last edited by hamiltonj; 03-29-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2015 | 05:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Wow. Just wow. That looks like one headache after another. Hopefully these guys will steer you in the right direction. You came to the right place. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-30-2015 | 08:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to fix the no bus errors first...... I *think* there was a good thread on here with troubleshooting guide.... but, don't have the time to dig it up at the moment. If you don't have a service manual for your truck yet, grab one from here. There *might* be something in there on it as well.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-30-2015 | 12:22 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

I believe the no buss is a pcm fault and should be replaced. And yes it could have something to do with the trans.

Old 04-01-2015 | 06:25 PM
hamiltonj
|

Sorry guys been pretty busy since last post but wanted to give an update....
mechanic replaced pcm and the instrument cluster started working properly again. the transmission however is another story. he said it wasnt driving right still and was starting out in 2nd as it had been. He also said it could be the lockout torque converter? would it be better to replace trans or the torque converter? He also said that the transmission was not throwing any codes. Any ideas?

Old 04-01-2015 | 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Disconnect the 8 pin connector about halfway back on the drivers side of the trans. Inspect it to make sure there are no bared wires above the connector. (common) If that looks ok, leave it disconnected, go for a short ride. Keep in mind, you will have zero automatic function.... so, pull it down into the gear you want to start out in, and shift when you think you should. (it won't downshift automatically either.....) remember, ZERO automatic function. On your ride, go thru all the gears. (you won't get TCC engage, or O/D. It WILL set codes......) If it shifts nice, into the gear you tell it to, WHEN you tell it to, mechanically the trans is sound, and you just need to replace the electronics. (governor pressure sensor and solenoid.) If it still acts wonky, time for a rebuild.

You can get a heavy duty governor pressure solenoid, with the pressure sensor, for around 100 bucks on Ebay. (seller Electricaladvantage, among others) Filter, gasket, and six quarts of fluid, (six, just in case...) and you should have a trans again.

Old 04-01-2015 | 07:57 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou

You can get a heavy duty governor pressure solenoid, with the pressure sensor, for around 100 bucks on Ebay. (seller Electricaladvantage, among others) Filter, gasket, and six quarts of fluid, (six, just in case...) and you should have a trans again.
Do this . I had 2nd gear starts too , no codes , but works real good now after doing this

Quick Reply: 2000 dodge ram 1500 Issues