2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no FM on factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jrox44
Are they all universal? Basically if it fits in the hole I can put a factory cd player in my 94?
No. As stated above. Get one out if a year close to yours and you will have to make sure all the plugs on the back are the same.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are they all universal? Basically if it fits in the hole I can put a factory cd player in my 94?
Any 1986-2002 Chrysler radio that's got the same dimensions (it's most often known as "square" even though it ain't) and matches your setup (with/without steering wheel controls, with/without Infinity speakers) will fit and plug in just fine. Or so I've been led to believe and haven't seen otherwise, anyway.

I might be full of crap without knowing it. I'd check, but the bolts that hold the top of my head on are rusted and it hurts like hell trying to get them out.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 PM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have a 99 factory dakota radio in my garage out of my other truck. It looks the same size.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Well I have a 99 factory dakota radio in my garage out of my other truck. It looks the same size.
So, pull the radio and check the plugs. You don't seem to want to pull that radio out. Lol

Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
So, pull the radio and check the plugs. You don't seem to want to pull that radio out. Lol
Your right I don't. The truck has 50K and is absolutely cherry not a single scratch or stain anything. I'm so scared to touch it until I'm ready with the actual solution. I've owned many vehicles a lots Hondas and chevys. I've pulled and rebuilt motors on both but this is my first dodge I've had my hands on and it's a scary learning experience. Especially with so low miles. I mean what if I crack a plastic thing on the dash. I'd be devastates. I could replace it but on a entirely original truck it's kinda scary.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I mean what if I crack a plastic thing on the dash.
So then don't crack the bezel!

The tool I use to remove mine is a bamboo turner, the kind for cooking. It's nice and wide to spread the force and the wood is soft enough that I'd have to really want to ding the plastic to do it. My original piece had a chip out of it when I bought the truck, and I'd hate like hell to break the one I've got because I got it from Zman who was a regular here before the cancer killed him. Using the bamboo turner, I don't worry about it.

Just don't forget to remove the trim screw next to the power outlet, if your truck has that screw.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

The solution could be that the antenna is unplugged. But you have jumped all the way to replacing the whole thing. Either way, you have to remove the radio. .

Quick Reply: no FM on factory radio