2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your truck has BRAKES, that`s what makes it stop.
Not breaks.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Mygoldn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the wonderful auto correct my iPad loves to use and changes all my words. I don't even notice anymore so I'm sorry. I know they are BRAKES.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mygoldn
What the next step was for the breaks. Il have to get it up on jacks tomorrow and take a look.
I'd meant to add some useful information, so here it is: If you've got dragging front brakes, the usual culprits in order of likelihood are one or both of tired old soft lines (the rubbery lookin' dudes that provide for suspension travel and turning) swelling under pressure, and/or really old calipers with hardened seals. The seal around the outside of the piston is what retracts the pads, and if the seal is hardened it won't do that any more.

EDITED TO ADD:
If the brakes drag only after they've been used hard there may be water in the brake fluid that can boil and the resulting gas pressure can cause them to drag. That's an easy fix, just bleed the system.

Rear brakes don't often drag without a foot on the pedal to cause it.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 04-06-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

Supposedly the guy I bought the truck from did all new brake parts. Not sure if he did calipers too but I can look and find out. I did notice I hear a grinding noise from the rear when driving at low speeds. But that has done that from the day I got it about a year ago. It's a plow/work truck so I assumed it had some sort of issue but never really looked to far into it.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my truck I was having the same exact problems as you are having with your truck, because the previous owner did nothing to take care of the truck.

If I hit even the smallest bump in the road my truck would move half a lane in either direction, and on a straight flat road it would wonder all over the road.

I had a shop go through everything, and they ended up replacing the brake pads front and rear, new front brake calipers, new shocks, all new tie rods, new track bar, new ball joints, new hubs, new steering box. Now all I need is new tires.

So, it sounds like your truck is in need of some front end and brake work to get it back into shape. If you can do the work your self, that will save you some money, you just need to get the parts.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Mygoldn
Professional

I. Gonna look into getting the parts. Just takes me a while to get them since I don't work full time and have to save for a while to buy them. But this is my daily driver so is there anything I should start with? I figured the tierods would be a good start but I'm not sure.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fix your steering first. If your brakes go you can steer in the most desirable option. If your steering fails you're just hosed Period.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

So I got a look at the brakes. Nothing abnormal other than maybe a little warping in the rotor. Pads seemed ok. The only problem now is all the things I found that are wrong so I don't think I'm gonna bother fixing. It just sell it instead and find another daily driver.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mygoldn
It just sell it instead and find another daily driver.
Sounds like a pretty good plan. The thing I taught my kids was that a car that won't go is a nuisance but one that won't stop is a death trap. Ain't no sense to dying in order to avoid walking.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

I ended up ordering new rotors and all new tierods from rock auto. Hopefully this will help my issues. Had a buddy of mine look at my trucks and he thinks if I start with that it should help. Next will be a new steering box and a few new lines. He also noticed my front spring perches are rotted out. Anyone have any experience with these?

Last edited by Mygoldn; 04-08-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering issues