2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise Control issues!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 PM
COL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control issues!?!

Anybody ever have an issue where ONLY WHEN you use the Cruise Control the RPM jumps around occassionally almost like the torque converter is locking and unlocking? Mine does and some days are worse than others, but it nearly always does it. I try to avoid using it because i don't want to do any harm to my transmission, but it sucks not having it because I do make long trips somewhat frequently.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:36 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When my torque converter failed it did exactly as you describe. It would bump up a couple hundred rpm and drop down. Did it only in cruise, rarely at first, then became more frequent until it wouldn't lockup at all. I dropped the trans and replaced TC and it's been working great.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 PM
COL
Rookie

That is not what I wanted to hear...lol I have been noticing that though, it used to only do it once in a blue moon, then maybe once every half hour of driving, then there was days it wouldnt do it at all, and now it seems like it does it all the time, but only in cruise, not at all when I use the pedal.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Try replacing the throttle position sensor first. That can also give you those symptoms.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:17 PM
mcmurdo64

I would have to agree with HeyYou. That is exactly what my '01 was doing, changed the TPS and it has never had that problem again. Started off only once and a while, got to the point I wouldn't run cruise anymore because it was almost constant.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control issues!?!