2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sqeeky cricket sound in dash area

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:08 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sqeeky cricket sound in dash area

HI,
Well, I searched around and found various answers but am still stymied. (Steering column u-joints-No. Shift lever linkage-No. belt pulleys and tensioner spin smooth with belt off..) One TSB is interesting though. 23-19-00 .
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999-index.htm scroll down to 'body'.
Have you had this? My main question now before taking the whole thing off is the nature of the squeak or creak. The description is vague. Mine is a rapid light cricket like squeak and starts at about 10mph on gravel roads and a few miles up smoother hwys. It does not creak upon turning up a steep approach driveway and does not get louder or faster as I speed up.
I can hear a couple of them upon slowly moving-1-2mph and braking hard.
Only 85,000mi. on excellent condition V10 4x4 Laramie I bought 7 mo. ago. This began about 1 mo. ago.
Update 10/23/15 Sorry about delay, forgot about this post; Last month I put on new shocks, sprayed lithium on all the boots on the suspension and sprayed the secondary steering column u-joints and in the cab sprayed into the column at the firewall.
After all this the cricket /squeak went away! I now think it may have been in the column. There is no squeak now after a month. What a joyous relief! Due to lack of response, I guess my problem is rare but am so glad it's gone for now. If it starts again I will probably install the nylon bushing on the steering column to cure 'wobble' which I don't have but to remove the column to check it out. ( No need to take steering wheel off when doing this!)
Update 8/11/16: I'm happy to say the awful cricket squeak is still silent !

Last edited by ramv1014; 08-11-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Ad info, update
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Is the noise actually coming from inside the truck, or outside?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A loose dash bolt will cause a squeak. The plastic panel between the dash and the floor has a bolt behind it that is the pivot bolt for the dash, you will see the bare metal frame of the dash resting on the bolt when you take the covers off. It's worth a shot and will only take a couple minutes to see if that's it.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:56 AM
ramv1014
Amateur

Hi,
It sounds like it's inside the dash on the left side. I wish the tsb would have been more detailed about the sound . DAMn
I checked the pivot bolt and it was tight. I tightened it anyway. ---- later- well, drove into town 5 mi. with some on dirt road and no squeak. But then it started again. It is intermittent. I tightened the other bolt also.
My dash top is cracked in several places. So that's why they put a rug over it! I did glue a few places on it and don't think it is the source.
-----
Update 7/9 Well,Yesterday I pulled the Bezel off and removed the instrument cluster module thinking I might see into the back but no, there is a wall in the way. I went back under and sprayed more oil on the trans shift linkage ( the bracket on the trans where the linkage goes into it. Someone has a youtube vid about his loose one that sent a squeak up into the dash area. Now, today I drove 15mi and there is no cricket squeak! But I don't know if anything I did caused it to stop at this point. ---later- well, it does but just a couple times for a few seconds.
Also, I don't think the tsb mentioned is the cause of my little cricket/squeak sound.
Update 7/21 In the meantime I took the a pillar cover off and sprayed the 3 clips with lithium. I guess that was not it as the cricket came back briefly one day. But now, the sound has not reappeared. What luck. But I think it wasn't anything I did.
Update 8/9/15 Well, It comes again for a few minutes once in awhile but only 15% of driving time and instead of activating on rough roads it seems to occur on smooth hwys. I give up... just kidding.
By the way, if I could correct the spelling of my title I would.
Update 9/07/15 The cricket like squeak started up and was constant the whole way over 2 days! a few days ago while on a 500 mi. trip pulling my trailer. Yesterday, I finally rolled the dash back to fix it per TSB 23-19-00. The only dash squeak reference I could find. It did not stop my chirpy squeak. None over a 1/2 mi. bumpy dirt road today but as soon as I got on the smooth hwy it started but stopped after a minute for the rest of a 5 mi. drive. Just AWFUL. See my new post - squeak in dash- tsb 23-19-00?) for pics and description of the process.
9/9 lubing the trans linkage again did nothing. I also removed the cowl for wipers -no loose parts- greased joints anyway. No help. Still the damn chirp.
My other post or reply is updated too. The squeak is now gone after spraying lithium on all the steering column points and at firewall. I think it was the cause. 8/11/16.

Last edited by ramv1014; 08-11-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Update,tsb 23-19-00, trans linkage, dash squeak, cricket squeak in dash
Old 09-07-2015, 04:51 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Post Squeak in dash- TSB 23-19-00 ?

I bought a '99 Laramie SLT quad cab-V10-4x4 last Dec. Excellent condition with 85k miles. About 3 mo. ago a somewhat jiggly cricket-like squeak started up in the left side dash area. It was intermittent and seems to start more on smooth hwy. It doesn't just happen on rough bumpy dirt roads tho it has for a second or so some times.
This week while pulling my trailer 500 mi. from Utah to AZ. it started up and was constant for almost the whole trip! Previous research found TSB 23-19-00 which I saved. I decided yesterday to try that fix. It did not cure it as I got on the hwy to test the fix out; it started again but for just a minute for the 5 mi. round trip.
This is totally distressing. Please don't say to turn up the radio. Have you had this sound? I've tried most of the various suggestions by others- trans shift linkage, steering column squeak ( By twisting the linkage in the engine compartment sharply I can hear a similar but softer chirp but when driving I am not jerking the steering wheel and even if I do it does not duplicate that sound.)
I took these pics of the operation of the TSB:

Left side- Notice 2 in. vertical gap after using chisel to widen to 1/4 in.

Right side- Yes, my dash top is cracked-fixed with Goop. A rug was over it when I bought the truck. I said" that's neat" without looking under it.

No store had a long chisel so I bought a 1/4x1x36in. flat from hardware store and filed down one side with a multi rasp using the coarsest side. I didn't need to cut it shorter but 2 ft. would work well. I used a 5lb sledge to get it in 6 in. Worked better than any other chisel could have. The idea is to widen the gap between the plenum bar and sheet metal wall.

2 nuts and 2 side bolts removes the bracket. Remove the shift indicator cable.(unscrew the white plastic thing also. scribe at position the unit was in.)Then drop steering column. Then take out 5 screws across top of dash. Loosen the pivot bolts on the ends of the dash and roll back the dash.

---------------
I hope someone has found the source of this obnoxious squeak. It's totally baffling. I 'asked a mechanic a question on justanswer' on the web and no one answered! I put up the question again and got some ideas but they did not stop it.
Update 9/28 The last things I did a few days ago was to install new Monroe shocks. I heard a couple of the light chirps. Yesterday, after reading about steering column noises I blasted the intermediate shaft u-joints ( they are sealed but did it anyway) with lithium spray and on the inside of the firewall in the cab at the lower end of the mesh screen on the column. I read that ball joint rubber caps can squeak so I then sprayed them with the lithium and ,also, sprayed under the stabilizer bar link ends by lifting up the boots with a screwdriver. I sprayed every boot on the suspension.
So, I went into town 5 mi. the next day and NO squeaky chirp!!!! Today I moved my camp and drove 150 mi. on smooth road and somewhat rough blacktop and on 4 miles of rough dirt . NO squeaky chirps!!!!
I don't know, of course, which thing I did made it stop but I do not think now that it is the pinch welds.
What a relief to be rid of that obnoxious chirp!!! For now anyway.
Update 10/23/15 Still no cricket squeak! I now think it may be in the column. If it starts again I will remove the column and put on the the 'wobble nylon bushing' which I don't need yet but to check the column then for squeak. Maybe it's the existing bearing. ( No need to remove steering wheel when doing this.)

Last edited by ramv1014; 10-23-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Resolved squeaky/chirp, steering column
Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If it will do it at low speeds, have someone drive while you lay down there and see if you can isolate where it is coming from. Someone tall would be good, so you can have room..... It's horribly awkward..... but, I have had some success with this method.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:26 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by ramv1014

I bought a '99 Laramie SLT quad cab-V10-4x4 last Dec. Excellent condition with 85k miles. About 3 mo. ago a somewhat jiggly cricket-like squeak started up in the left side dash area. It was intermittent and seems to start more on smooth hwy. It doesn't just happen on rough bumpy dirt roads tho it has for a second or so some times.
This week while pulling my trailer 500 mi. from Utah to AZ. it started up and was constant for almost the whole trip! Previous research found TSB 23-19-00 which I saved. I decided yesterday to try that fix. It did not cure it as I got on the hwy to test the fix out; it started again but for just a minute for the 5 mi. round trip.
This is totally distressing. Please don't say to turn up the radio. Have you had this sound? I've tried most of the various suggestions by others- trans shift linkage, steering column squeak ( By twisting the linkage in the engine compartment sharply I can hear a similar but softer chirp but when driving I am not jerking the steering wheel and even if I do it does not duplicate that sound.)
I took these pics of the operation of the TSB:

Left side- Notice 2 in. vertical gap after using chisel to widen to 1/4 in.

Right side- Yes, my dash top is cracked-fixed with Goop. A rug was over it when I bought the truck. I said" that's neat" without looking under it.

No store had a long chisel so I bought a 1/4x1x36in. flat from hardware store and filed down one side with a multi rasp using the coarsest side. I didn't need to cut it shorter but 2 ft. would work well. I used a 5lb sledge to get it in 6 in. Worked better than any other chisel could have. The idea is to widen the gap between the plenum bar and sheet metal wall.

2 nuts and 2 side bolts removes the bracket. Remove the shift indicator cable.(unscrew the white plastic thing also. scribe at position the unit was in.)Then drop steering column. Then take out 5 screws across top of dash. Loosen the pivot bolts on the ends of the dash and roll back the dash.

---------------
I hope someone has found the source of this obnoxious squeak. It's totally baffling. I 'asked a mechanic a question' on the web and no one answered!
My next plan is to call every Dodge dealer in the country until I find one that knows about it. Or maybe I should have one drive it when it's happening for a $100. AAAAAAUUGGGG!!!!!
1st everyone's dash in these things crack. Mine was mint in 2011 when I bought it but now has tons of cracks.

2nd every truck of every make with these years and miles on them have squeaks, and creaks, and chirps. I wouldn't obsess.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Angry Squeak in dash area

Hi,
Well, I like a quiet truck and this one appears brand new to me so I want it QUIET. Luckily, at times, it is silent. I don't want to hear this.. Sometimes little things loom large in our minds and this is one that does. None of my previous trucks had squeaks like this '97 f-250 and before.(rattles yes but found.) In my search it seems a lot of the newer trucks have them. The TSB I found seems by the description to be a creak or a squeak. I don't have a creak and could not duplicate it as they told to do. I did the operation out of desperation but it didn't make it stop. Bummer.
I am alone at this point but will find someone to listen. As sound is transferred around it may not be in dash. It sounds like it's right in front of me in the left side of the dash. I sprayed the shift linkage again with lithium and will drive into town shortly. 9/9 still chirping. I also removed wiper cowel and the linkage was tight . Greased joints anyway. No help.
WTF???

Last edited by ramv1014; 09-09-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Default Squeak found!

Update: 04/02/18
I had sprayed the upper U-Joint of the Intermediate column shaft last year but this last few months the chirp was constant. I had replaced the column bushing with the 'Rock Solid plastic one this month. It still chirps so I flooded the U-Joint again with WD40 gel lube. Just FLOODED it and the cricket chirp STOPPED. That's where it is!
Now, Piece and Quiet. Let us pray...

Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Default Cricket Squeak found at last!

The squeak was coming back this last 6 months and constant driving on smooth Hwy. I had bought the 'Rock Solid plastic bushing for the column but that di not stop it. Then I flooded the upper U-Joint of the Intermediate shaft with WD40 gel lube and the chirp STOPPED! I finally found it! The sound transfered up and seemed like it was in the dash. Odd that nothing seems loose on the joint. Wonderful! peace and quiet now!

Quick Reply: sqeeky cricket sound in dash area