2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 5.9L gas has spark and fuel but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM
herche54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the ECT and the engine still wouldn't start; not a peep. So my mechanic replaced the coil and it finally started and ran! Yet the old coil show arcing and it appeared strong. Now I can understand a coil getting weak enough that the engine won't start but this problem occurred while I was leaving a stop sign. Is there a way to measure coil strength? I do thank everyone for their speedy suggestions. I originally search this excellent forum for people's previous experiences and it gave me a good head start. Again, thanks. Bill

Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

There is a specific tool for checking spark, but, all it tells you is if the coil has enough oomph to jump a fat gap. Conditions in the combustion chamber can be a bit different than just laying on top of the motor though. (so, the gap is actually pretty big.) I just use a sparkplug...... Spark color tells the tale.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
herche54

Replaced the ECT and it had no effect. Mechanic then replaced the coil and now the engine starts and runs! Go figure. Old coil appeared to give strong arcing. Now I can understand that a weak coil and prevent an engine starting but while it is running? Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:38 PM
drtydn
Rookie

Same thing happened to me and it was as simple as the relay for the engine shut off or something to that nature. A buck fifty from a junkyard and it was fixed ****** nevermind I didn't see that it was fixed till after I posted. My mistake*******

Old 05-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Doug Angel
Default same issue on my 02 5.9l gas

Th e crank position sensor (cps) will go out from time to time. It is located behind the motor on the passenger side, the cps plugs into the harness by the distributor. Remove 2 bolts and pull out through the notch in the bell housing, inspect for dirt, metal, or damage. They run around $50 @O'Reilly.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by herche54
So my mechanic replaced the coil and it finally started and ran! Yet the old coil show arcing and it appeared strong. Now I can understand a coil getting weak enough that the engine won't start but this problem occurred while I was leaving a stop sign. Is there a way to measure coil strength?
Old coil appeared to give strong arcing. Now I can understand that a weak coil and prevent an engine starting but while it is running? Thanks to all for their suggestions.

I had a very very similar issue a while back, cruising about 35mph truck just shut off. I noticed the tach dropped as well as oil pressure but everything else was fine. Gas pedal did nothing. Shifted to Neutral and coasted it off the main road. Cranked strong but no start. Had perfect rail pressure, plugs were getting wet and my father held a plug against the block while I cranked-she had spark. Without looking further into it I changed crank and cam sensors with no change. On a whim I looked up coil tests and found that with a multimeter you can check for 12,000-15,000 ohms between the coil tower and either one of the pins inside the connector and 1 ohm +/- 0.3 between the 2 pins themselves. Mine tested 10,000 and dead on at 1ohm. Asked my father what color spark I had and he goes "A little yellowish/white but nice and strong. That's not your issue, I don't think you're making compression. Time to sell."

40k+ later at 195k all test 140-145 except cyl 5 at 128, which I attribute to likely being cracks that these all get.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:49 PM
rarefish383
Default 99 runs poorly

Hey, I registered several years ago when I had my Dad's 96 1500 Jayco conversion. Now, I have a 99 red 4X4 5.9, club cab. Not sure if this is the right spot, but here's my problem. The truck started acting like it had a dead cylinder, wouldn't idle right, could smell raw gas in exhaust. It would rev up to about 3000 then start breaking down. The guy at the parts store said if a cylinder wasn't firing it would throw a code. No codes. Finally started pulling plug wires. # 4 plug wire was broken off at plug. Gave tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Since it wasn't idling I replaced the Idle CV and the MAP sensor. It runs much smoother now, running on all 8 cylinders, but still breaks down right at 3000 RPM's, or maybe a little sooner going up hill. Pops and coughs. Still doesn't idle right. I was just getting ready to put a complete new exhaust on it when this problem started. The exhaust pipe cracked right in front of the cat. Previous owner welded a generic cat in so I couldn't just replace it. The truck has 135,000 miles on it and never saw a drop of rain till I got it. I've had it 4 years and only put 10,000 miles on it. Now it seems like everything is going all at once. Don't know where to start. What could make it start breaking down at 3000 RPM? I've gotten so used to looking for codes, I feel like I should know this, but I'm missing something simple.

Photo bucket gave me the boot, or I'd post a pic. I'ts a beautiful truck. Thanks for any insight, Joe.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Hi Joe. Welcome to DF! You are indeed in the right place.

I think first I would pull the Pre-Cat O2 out, and see if it doesn't run any better. (physically remove it from the exhaust, this is testing for a clogged cat.) If that doesn't seem to make any difference, verify fuel pressure. Should be right about 49 at idle. If THAT is good, replace the crankshaft position sensor. It hides behind the passenger side head, and is just a whole lotta fun to get to......

Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Lyniaer
Amateur

Originally Posted by rarefish383
Hey, I registered several years ago when I had my Dad's 96 1500 Jayco conversion. Now, I have a 99 red 4X4 5.9, club cab. Not sure if this is the right spot, but here's my problem. The truck started acting like it had a dead cylinder, wouldn't idle right, could smell raw gas in exhaust. It would rev up to about 3000 then start breaking down. The guy at the parts store said if a cylinder wasn't firing it would throw a code. No codes. Finally started pulling plug wires. # 4 plug wire was broken off at plug. Gave tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Since it wasn't idling I replaced the Idle CV and the MAP sensor. It runs much smoother now, running on all 8 cylinders, but still breaks down right at 3000 RPM's, or maybe a little sooner going up hill. Pops and coughs. Still doesn't idle right. I was just getting ready to put a complete new exhaust on it when this problem started. The exhaust pipe cracked right in front of the cat. Previous owner welded a generic cat in so I couldn't just replace it. The truck has 135,000 miles on it and never saw a drop of rain till I got it. I've had it 4 years and only put 10,000 miles on it. Now it seems like everything is going all at once. Don't know where to start. What could make it start breaking down at 3000 RPM? I've gotten so used to looking for codes, I feel like I should know this, but I'm missing something simple.

Photo bucket gave me the boot, or I'd post a pic. I'ts a beautiful truck. Thanks for any insight, Joe.
You've probably fixed this by now, but I would've guessed LIMP mode.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Amy Corona
Default Battery cable

My truck is a 1994 Ram 2500 4X4 auto with a 5.9L magnum gas engine. It has 315,000 miles and I’ve owned it for 6000 miles. Recently about 500 miles ago, replaced the heads and rebuilt the auto transmission. Also replaced spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Ran and drove great until I came to a stop sign. Started to pull out and the engine began sputtering, then died. Tried to start it, got a few almost starts; then no firing at all.
My mechanic finds that there is spark and fuel. The fuel rail has 45 psi. Tried different pcms; no dice. Replaced the cam censor; no effect. Disconnected the ozone sensor; no change. Coil has blue arcing; spark plugs get wet; injectors show pulses coming to it.
This year truck has OBDI so codes are minimal. Checked engine light for code and received 12 followed by 55 meaning end of code. A 12 indicates a Battery Disconnect which can be a normal condition. Since engine spins well, I don’t think it is a battery problem.
I don’t think the crank sensor is bad or I would not have had sparking and fuel. Could it be the timing chain? I don’t know if it has ever been replaced. My mechanic put his finger on the #1 spark plug hole and while turning the engine, felt strong pressure just as the spark plug showed firing. While that seems a primitive test, it does show timing is within the range and engine should be at least misfiring.
Any suggestions? I would replace the timing chain but that’s a bit of work and expense and it may not be the problem. Are there other timing chain checks? Any other diagnosis that was missed?
Is it possible that maybe it is a bad battery cable

Quick Reply: 1994 5.9L gas has spark and fuel but won't start