2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harmonic Balancer Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 PM
nickr519
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer Wobble

Hi All,

After finishing a long timing chain + gears, water pump, and intake gaskets job I noticed that my harmonic balancer is a bit wobbly:

Could this happen any other way than me mishandling it? I removed it with the proper puller with studs in 2 of the holes, but i reinstalled it just by zipping the nut on there with the impact.

1) Is my only option to throw a balancer at it and see if it stops?

2**) Is it okay to drive the truck in this condition? Or should I keep it parked until it is resolved?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

It's bad, replace it. I wouldn't drive it, just to be safe. You are putting some odd side-loads on the crank snout with it like that. Don't wanna have to replace the crank.....

Old 08-10-2015, 03:19 PM
nickr519
Amateur

Anyone have experience with an aftermarket unit? Would rather not pay the $128 for the MOPAR part unless I really need to.

Also, any tips / tools for proper installation? O'Reilly's offers an installation tool which I didn't realize before, so I will use that instead of zipping it onto the crank threads with the impact this time.

Last edited by nickr519; 08-10-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Aftermarket should be fine. (just skip Dorman..... )

The tool is just a threaded rod, that threads into the crank bolt hole, with a nut and washer to draw the HB in as you tighten the nut. I just push the HB on as far as I can, and make sure I have good thread engagement with the crank bolt, (several turns in, at least.) and hit it with the impact. Keep the torque spec for that bolt in mind though..... don't wanna snap it off in the crank.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 PM
nickr519
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Aftermarket should be fine. (just skip Dorman..... )

Haha really? Is their stuff not up to snuff? I was wondering about it since it is super cheap and has a "limited lifetime warranty" whatever that means. O'reillys offers a "Powerbond" Part for $80 vs the OEM $130.

The tool is just a threaded rod, that threads into the crank bolt hole, with a nut and washer to draw the HB in as you tighten the nut. I just push the HB on as far as I can, and make sure I have good thread engagement with the crank bolt, (several turns in, at least.) and hit it with the impact. Keep the torque spec for that bolt in mind though..... don't wanna snap it off in the crank.

Got it. The torque spec for that bolt is absurdly high (135 ft lbs). There is no way I will be able to provide a reaction to that torque level with my freaking strap wrench, so I am going to buzz it on with the impact al dente and call it a day unless anyone objects majorly.
Thanks for the response

Old 08-11-2015, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't trust dorman. Especially for 'important' parts.... Their limited warranty simply means that if your balancer blows up, and smokes your engine, they just give you a new balancer, and you are stuck with the trashed engine. of course, I think everyone elses warranty is pretty much the same.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Wobble