2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 2500 wont shift down to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 98 Ram 2500 wont shift down to 1st

Ok, so here's the deal. This might be a little crossthreaded since it is a CTD but its not a motor issue.

I have a 98.5 2500 24v 2wd 47re

The issue is that the truck after running through the gears, and coming up to a complete stop it will not drop down to first. Haven't had it on a computer today, so i dont know for sure. Before you tell me look at this, etc., I will tell you this problem has been on going for a while.

So, here is what I have done to hopefully fix this issue. Replaced governor pressure sensor, as well as the solenoid. Truck was off and on still not operating correctly.

So about a week ago had new VB installed, it has been working until today. The truck feels like it is leaving in second, where as before the VB replacement you could tell it was actually in 3rd.

So my question is what else should i check?
I moved relays around in the fuze box, no cure.

Anywhere to get a grasp would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Need to see what the trans thinks is going on. Need a scanner, check codes, see what pressures have to say when the trans is fully warmed.

I would have thought that changing the electronics would have solved it..... and certainly along with a new valve body. Makes me wonder if the problems isn't elsewhere.... and why I suggest looking at the data the PCM is seeing.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to see what the trans thinks is going on. Need a scanner, check codes, see what pressures have to say when the trans is fully warmed.

I would have thought that changing the electronics would have solved it..... and certainly along with a new valve body. Makes me wonder if the problems isn't elsewhere.... and why I suggest looking at the data the PCM is seeing.
See I had all this work done at a trans shop, so im going off what they told me.
They said all the voltages were correct when they should be. So I am pretty clueless.

One question is would a speed sensor have anything to do with causing it?

Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Maybe.... If a trans shop sold you all this stuff, trying to fix the problem, and they haven't, (or, if it went in for something else, and came back with this problem) THEY need to figure it out, and fix it, after all, you have already paid them.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

Maybe.... If a trans shop sold you all this stuff, trying to fix the problem, and they haven't, (or, if it went in for something else, and came back with this problem) THEY need to figure it out, and fix it, after all, you have already paid them.
They thought they fixed it twice already have it back for a day and there's a problem. I just moved this weekend for work and thought my truck was good. Now that shop that has sucked my wallet dry, is about 2 hours away. That's why i was asking for some input if there was any troubleshooting tips or something I could look for.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I've seen this before here.... and I *think* the solution was the output speed sensor...... but, I am not 100% on that.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

I've seen this before here.... and I *think* the solution was the output speed sensor...... but, I am not 100% on that.
Ok I will look into that, thanks.

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 2500 wont shift down to 1st