2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake Master Cylinder

Hello,

I've been having a break issue and think I figured it out. One day I went on an 80 mile trip no problems at all and got home and parked her, got back in a few hours later and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I check the fluid and realize it is right below the add line so I go to the parts store and get a couple bottles of fluid. I add the first bottle and get amazing pedal feel and let it run for a few minutes. A few minutes go by and its down to the add line again and add the second bottle. So I realize that there is a leak somewhere and check all for wheels for leaks and cant find any. The only other place I can think of is the master cylinder so I finally get a chance to look at it today since its not 100 plus. I added another bottle of fluid and it all leaked out again, Ii removed the master cylinder and I touched the rubber seal in the back and its covered in what i'm assuming brake fluid, the rod coming out of the brake booster also has a trace of fluid on it. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the master but do I need to replace the booster as well if three bottles of fluid leaked into it?

**edit**
99 1500 w/ 318 rear only abs and upgraded rear wheel cylinders with ones from a 3500

Thank you

Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to replace the booster also but that is more up to you. In some parts of the country when you have a problem like this the brake fluid will take the paint off the booster. Once this happens what happens next is the booster will rust out and you will lose your power brakes. Since it sounds like you live in a dry climate it might not be as big an issue.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

I live in central california, I think we have had three inches of rain all damn year. I will ensure i clean the booster off as much as I can but I think a plenum fix will be a higher priority then my booster rusting out. Thanks for the help Wildman

Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Be sure to check the brake line running to the rears as well. They are notorious for blowing out.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

I traced the lines all the way back and checked the best I could after it went into the frame rails next to the gas tank from there I felt around and everything was dry in the few places I can get my hands in, do you think that it would be able to hold a bottle of fluid in there without dripping anything out?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

It shouldn't, but, hey, ya just never know.

Pull the vacuum line at the brake booster. Check for evidence of brake fluid in there.

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder