2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How Much Is Too Much? (Pulling weight)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:00 AM
COL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Is Too Much? (Pulling weight)

Hi all, I still am rocking my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 OFF-ROAD edition and still love it. We are going to be headed out for a weekend get away for the holiday weekend and leaving tomorrow. Started off as just a couple of us, then turned into a few, and I definitely dont mind, just makes for more fun! Anyhow since I am the one with the biggest trailer I was auto elected to tow the fourwheelers up north camping. As of now I have a Large 24' Enclosed trailer loaded with 4 Full size utility ATVs and another in my truck box, along with all the camping gear, then of course I am going to have passengers. My hitch sticker was painted over, so I couldnt read the tag off it, but if I recall these 1/2 ton trucks had a towing capacity of like 6,800lbs. I currently know the weight of each wheeler and the trailer, and added up I am hovering the 7,500lb mark. This is the most I have asked out of a half ton, is it too much? I have all necessary equipment to haul a big trailer. It will be around a 4hr trip. I was actually quite surprised that when I got everything all loaded up, it is only sitting about 2" past level, I expected far more squat than that. What do you guys think, OK to do, or too much? Truck has 112,000mi on it and I try to keep it maintained pretty well.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what options...

According to dodgeram.info, the ram 1500 4x4 quad cabs have about a 7200 pound tow rating, so really you're not that far above. Above is above though, so don't crash.

Your payload though, is ballpark 1400 pounds.

At 7500 pounds you should have about a thousand pounds sitting on the trailer hitch ball.

1000 + one ATV + you + passengers + other cargo = 1400 pounds?

You're going to be overloaded, and depending on the terrain (hilly?) you could really be taxing the brakes, axles, transmission, and the local law enforcement's patience.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

It's a Dodge RAM, right?... it will shift whatever you can fit in/on it.

So, back to a more practical reality... if your rig is in good condition, the above is still true if you employ a good does of common scenes... load balance, tie it down securely, and drive with an abundance of caution.
Poorly loaded, tied, and driven, will draw unneeded attention to your journey.
Properly loaded, tied, and driven with caution, will get you there without incident.

It is a Dodge after all

Old 09-05-2015, 07:50 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Usually you need a load leveler system to pull over 5000 lbs with the factory trailer hitches.

I'd get one if you're going to keep that large trailer long term, they'll transfer to the next truck.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...s/PS49583.html

Quick Reply: How Much Is Too Much? (Pulling weight)