2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Ram1500 RWAL Valve Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Relsom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ram1500 RWAL Valve Switch?

First post here. 1996 Ram 1500 5.9L 2WD RWAL. I've searched these threads and see scads of threads about both the ABS and Brake warning lights being on but the majority of the replies steer toward the speed sensor on the rear diff. My sensor reads within spec at 1.4 to 1.5k ohms all the way to the connector under the truck near the front of the driver's door. The speedo is working fine. The code I'm getting using the short pin 13 to ground method is Code 4 - Closed RWAL Valve Switch. Is this referring to the proportioning valve switch or are we talking about something to do on the module with the 4 wire plug? Disconnecting the wire on the Proportioning valve switch does nothing to help. I can reset the code by unplugging the CAB box but the ABS and Brake warning lights only extinguish momentarily when I start the truck before returning. Help steer me in the right direction here, please.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Check out page 5-64 of the factory service manual. There are a few things to check into. They don't go into any detail of what/where the switch is but from what i gather it's in the module with the 4 wire plug. I know the service manuals are available here somewhere in pdf(i have a hard copy).

Old 09-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Relsom

Thanks. Looks like there is a low resistance on the switch circuit. I measured between 1 and 2k ohms to ground on pin 11 of the 14 pin connector. Well under the 10k ohm spec. Looks like I'm due for a new RWAL valve assembly. I haven't been leaking any fluid so it's very old and dark. The truck sits most of the time. Any likelihood that bleeding the system will correct it?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Relsom

I had sent you a thanks the other day but it must have gotten lost since it didn't post. The gist of it was that I went to the manual as you recommended and found that it looks like the RWAL Control Valve assembly is at fault. Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Relsom

So I took the truck to a mechanic buddy of mine to give it a look over and replace the RWAL Control valve if that what is concluded. I don't have a means to bleed the system at home. He said the lights finally quit staying on after several resets of the battery. I know I had the battery and the RWAL control box disconnected several times. How is it he got it to quit when I couldn't? BTW, he came up with code 4 too.

Quick Reply: 1996 Ram1500 RWAL Valve Switch?