2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Return of the Continuing Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 AM
foundit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return of the Continuing Mystery

Orginal Thread:
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L

Engine runs good when running but when the ambient temp gets hot (90+), the engine will shut down much like when the key is turned off. The engine will restart after sitting a few minutes since replacing the fuel pump – prior to replacing the fuel pump, the engine would have to cool down much longer.

Recently replaced the ignition coil, plugs and plug wires, crank position sensor, fuel system relay and the complete fuel pump assembly.

At a loss – before putting a match to it, I would appreciate any thoughts and/or recommendations.

Added: Found the battery was shorting out and replaced it. Seemed to have solved the problem for about 2 weeks.

Latest - September 4 - 6 - Same issue engine will shut down apparently when ambient temp's are high. This time though after sitting (cooling down?) for 3 - 5 minutes, the engine will restart and may run until turned off.
- as a check, removed negative battery cable with engine running - engine continued to run. Question - could the alternator break down with heat and cause engine to shut down?
- how long should fuel pressure remain in the fuel rail after engine is turned off?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

the engine will shut down much like when the key is turned off.
I would suspect the cam sensor. Usually a fuel issue wont kill the engine like turning the key off. You need inputs from both cam and crank sensors to get a spark. When it dies again check for spark, That will narrow it down to either ignition or fuel.

More info on the truck may help, Miles? Any codes? What does the engine temp run at when ambient temp is 90?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
foundit

Thanksfor the quick response. While pursuing the orginal symptoms, I noted there was no spark when the engine shut down/153,000 miles on the pickup/when checked at a local parts store, no codes flashed and no codes appear when engine shuts down/engine temp always in normal range.

Thanks again

Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 AM
greenmachine
All Star

Have you had the ignition control module checked? It has not happened to me on my Dodge. I did have a Chevy that when the temperature did get hot would do exactly what you are describing. Changed it not another issue. Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I would suspect the cam sensor. Usually a fuel issue wont kill the engine like turning the key off. You need inputs from both cam and crank sensors to get a spark. When it dies again check for spark, That will narrow it down to either ignition or fuel.

More info on the truck may help, Miles? Any codes? What does the engine temp run at when ambient temp is 90?
The parts stores call the camshaft position sensor a pickup coil. I had a little delay in finding one years ago because they don't call it by the same name. When mine went bad I got a code and the engine wouldn't restart until it cooled down but I think I've read somewhere that they don't always throw a code when they go bad.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The parts stores call the camshaft position sensor a pickup coil. I had a little delay in finding one years ago because they don't call it by the same name.
I tend to call it a cam sensor because that's what the factory service manual calls it. Same is true for a drag link. Just another way to confuse everybody.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 AM
foundit

Good morning Sir, I appreciate your reply. Another possible discovery - engine shut down yesterday and did want to start. Finally disconnect negative connections on the battery and it started; remembered this has been the case previously. Seems like something (like maybe the computer?) is resetting by disconnecting the negative battery connection. Also, what abot the inition control module and/or the pickup coil inside the distributor? Is the pickup coil the same as camshaft position sensor?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 AM
foundit

Thnk you for your response.........will/am pursue

Quick Reply: Return of the Continuing Mystery