2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please no start cranks fine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 PM
byteme
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help please no start cranks fine

2001 1500 360 was running fine would randomly not start after a rain would stumble and cough but did start after a day of drying. Was on a long trip home loaded with trailer in tow and she just stalled at 60 mph restarted stumbled and died. CAA towed us the 143 ks home tried again and crank crank no start .Is there a sequence to pull codes via the dash panel.I could hear the fuel pump prime and stop so I'm sure there is fuel coming up .Thank you in advance

Last edited by byteme; 09-08-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo 0
Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by byteme
2001 1500 360 was running fine would randomly not start after a rain would stumble and cough but did start after a day of drying. Was on a long trip home loaded with trailer in tow and she just stalled at 60 mph restarted stumbled and died. CAA towed us the 143 ks home tried again and crank crank no start .Is there a sequence to pull codes via the dash panel.I could hear the fuel pump prime and stop so I'm sure there is fuel coming up .Thank you in advance
Turn key on 3 times and see codes in digital odometer display.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:20 AM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it rains and it don't start after that's usually a good indication if a cracked distributor cap. It gets moisture inside and the rotor doesn't make good contact and doesn't give good spark

Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Need to see what's missing. It's going to be either spark, or fuel. Was it raining when it died on the road?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 AM
byteme
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to see what's missing. It's going to be either spark, or fuel. Was it raining when it died on the road?
No its was not raining was a clear beautiful night .
Im going to try and ck codes with the key trick but i thought that didnt work on anything above 98 ?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:32 AM
byteme
Rookie

Originally Posted by jrox44
If it rains and it don't start after that's usually a good indication if a cracked distributor cap. It gets moisture inside and the rotor doesn't make good contact and doesn't give good spark
It would only do this randomly when it rained I figured cap rotor but looks like a real b**** to get at so far back in there

Old 09-09-2015, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Oh, it's fun. No doubt about that. You can check codes, but, it may or may not be enlightening. Check and see if you are getting spark from the coil.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 PM
byteme
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Oh, it's fun. No doubt about that. You can check codes, but, it may or may not be enlightening. Check and see if you are getting spark from the coil.
pulled the only code p0351 which is apparently coil related unfortunately I have no one here to crank while i try to see if we get arc from coil tower to coil wire .The coil was replaced a few years ago before I owned it you do get a faint wiff of fuel .will see when the wife is here to assist .

Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 PM
byteme
Rookie

So tried to see if there is spark from the coil to the coil wire and nothing at all at least in the dark you can see an arc easier .I was told the coil was replaced but it looks like its been there forever the wire looks newer . More digging tomorrow

Old 09-09-2015, 10:33 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by byteme
So tried to see if there is spark from the coil to the coil wire and nothing at all at least in the dark you can see an arc easier .I was told the coil was replaced but it looks like its been there forever the wire looks newer . More digging tomorrow
I use my old trusty inductive timing light to check out spark conditions. Easily understand what is going on with anything that has spark plug wires. Can probably pick one of those up used pretty cheap.

Here is one that is similar to the one I have.. guessing mine is probably 30 years old.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121751412838

Quick Reply: Help please no start cranks fine