2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission strengthening/upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Bansheeman6100
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission strengthening/upgrades

So after I finish rebuilding the differentials in my 01' 4X4 5.9 this week, my next step is going to be going through the transmission and doing some light maintenence and upgrades. The previous owner (first owner) stated that a transmission shop said it needed a solenoid of some sort, so I'm going to check codes and drop the pan. As long as there are no excessive shavings, I am planning on replacing all the solenoids, the 3-4 spring, and installing a shift kit. Which one, is up in the air. Also considering a check valve delete. I know these transmissions are weak, and I'm looking to beef it up a bit. But it does have 170k miles on it, so if I tear it open and things look rough I will just rip it out and have it bench rebuilt. My dad has a 00' with a 318 and has been through 3 transmission before he had hit 170k, and he's never towed anything heavier than a 2k lb boat

Last edited by Bansheeman6100; 09-09-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

have a look, and see what you find inside. If you like the truck..... PATC sells all the parts they put into their megaviper, for under a grand. (don't recall if that includes torque converter though....) That would give you a bulletproof trans.

Another alternative would be checking out page six of MonteC's trans corner. There he has a list of recommended parts for member that regularly towed a 7K pound trailer. That would also give you a very dependable trans.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Bansheeman6100
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
have a look, and see what you find inside. If you like the truck..... PATC sells all the parts they put into their megaviper, for under a grand. (don't recall if that includes torque converter though....) That would give you a bulletproof trans.

Another alternative would be checking out page six of MonteC's trans corner. There he has a list of recommended parts for member that regularly towed a 7K pound trailer. That would also give you a very dependable trans.
I saw that thread, but thank you much for pointing out a page so I know where to start. And I definitely like the truck, and will be keeping this one for a good while. I sold my fully built, sequential turbo common rail earlier this year and have been in dire need of another truck, after my focus st just didn't cut it for hauling lol. I know all about strong transmission because of that cummins, so I really do want to beef this one up. I will look into the mega viper and see what all it is, is it a Complete rebuild? If so, I may just wait and do that all at once when the time comes. I've got a great transmission guy if it's that complete of a kit

Old 09-09-2015, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Yep, it's a complete rebuild kit. Extra clutches and steels, the whole nine yards.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Bansheeman6100
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, it's a complete rebuild kit. Extra clutches and steels, the whole nine yards.
I'll have to find a link to the kit, I saw their complete units but That's a bit rich for my taste, as I can have my guy do it on the cheap, owes me a few favors

Old 09-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You can buy the parts separate if you want to pic and choose what you want.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Quick Reply: transmission strengthening/upgrades