2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Help, ASAP. Complete redo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:30 PM
1fast1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Help, ASAP. Complete redo.

SO over this past year I started having AC issues in my 98 ram 1500 reg cab, 8ft bed, 5.2l.

Started out that the compressor would not turn on, but last year it worked PERFECT after taking it to Goodyear for a service check and AC recharge, I blew ARCTIC temps, seriously you had to turn it off as it would freeze you right out of the truck.

SO, it stopped working and I figure it was the charge was low and the safety feature stopped it from running. So I charged it up with some Wally worlds 134-a with dye to see if I could find a leak. NO LEAK and the system started working YAAAAAAY..... NOT

Then it started to not stay on, then blew not air, then started making some noises, NOW it sounds like something is rattling under the hood, and I get a god awful smell after driving around the block, idk if this is the belt burning up or the compressor or the clutch.

So I said f-it, and bought a brand new Compressor with Clutch, Brand new set of gauges, 30lb cylinder of r-134a, vacuum pump (3cfm)

My question is should I replace other parts of the AC system other than the Compressor.

Also, what PAG oil do I use and how many lbs should go in the system. Does anyone have a detailed write-up or video on how to properly install the Freon into the system with the oil, what the gauges should read, on a system after vaccing it down and getting ready to put the Freon in, the proper readings the gauges should show when its completed being recharged, ETC.

I have all of the proper tools, and have been working on cars for years, let alone building/customizing various aspects of the auto world. So I understand the workings and fundamentals, but NEVER dealt with the AC systems etc. I know I can learn this and perform it properly if I have a certain amount guidance or process.

The pump I have stated I have to add oil into the pump, but doesnt this go into the AC system..... also, what PAG OIL should be added and how.

Thank you in advance!

Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Your leak is more than likely the evaporator core, in the dash. If you are going to spend a bunch of money, replace that too. Receiver/dryer wouldn't be a bad idea either. For the rest, pull the lines, blow them out, replace the o-rings, call it a day. (replace the heater core while you are in the dash, to save yourself another trip in there later.)

All the rest of the info you can get from the service manual. Available for download here.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The leak could be anywhere. Is your compressor seized? Over filled? If you can get it working again i would put in some die and find the leak first before you do anything. It will only happen again after you put the new compressor in if you don't fix it now.
You should change the receiver/drier any time the system is opened. It acts like a filter to catch dirt/moisture. It is also a great spot to add any oil to the system if need be. Adding oil to a system is a guessing game to an extent. If you remove a component you have to know how much oil is in that particular part or if any leaked out. You need to replace that amount when you put the new one in. You can't tell exactly (in a evaporator for example) so this is where the guessing comes in. A new compressor i would imagine would have oil in the rotating assembly. It is probably different than what goes in the system. It should tell you in the documentation! If you do replace the compressor make sure you can get the correct oil/s for both locally. When i did my ac none of the parts stores carried exactly what the service manual called for.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:43 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a hold of a small measuring cup, one that does quarter ounces up to 4 ounces. each time you remove a component pour the oil out of it into the measuring cup.The compressor will have the most oil in it but all will have some. I agree with anytime you open the system you need to replace the dryer. If you put dye in it before did you use a blacklight when you looked for the leak? All the connectors need a special tool to disconnect them. An oring kit is cheep insurance.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM
1fast1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gertie240
get a hold of a small measuring cup, one that does quarter ounces up to 4 ounces. each time you remove a component pour the oil out of it into the measuring cup.The compressor will have the most oil in it but all will have some. I agree with anytime you open the system you need to replace the dryer. If you put dye in it before did you use a blacklight when you looked for the leak? All the connectors need a special tool to disconnect them. An oring kit is cheep insurance.

Yes I used a blacklight and saw nothing. I ordered a accumulator, Manifold lines, main line, evaparator. I also bought PAG 46 OIL. The service manual states see what the compressor takes, with the new compressor the manual says see the service manual. LOL SO WHAT PAG OIL DO I USE. Will the 46 be ok..?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Looks like the 46 will be fine.

Quick Reply: AC Help, ASAP. Complete redo.