2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:25 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible water pump?

i noticed i have coolant dripping under the truck. its dripping from the harmonic balancer. i noticed this about 3 weeks ago and tried putting some stop leak(the good kind, not that gunky stuff) and that seemed to work untill today i noticed it leaking again. given the location of where its leaking, is it safe to say that water pump gasket is shot? its tough to see up there or even looking straight down on it. i do know that it isnt uncommon for it to leak coolant at the front of the intake manifold.
just give me some of your thoughts. thanks guys

Old 09-24-2015, 05:31 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Sounds like the easiest and most inexpensive place to start. Might as well get a new pump, gasket, bypass hose and thermostat to replace if they haven't been done recently.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:51 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

its hasnt been done since ive had the truck. bought it with 141k its got 168k now.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional

Mine was leaking so put a pump new front timing chain cover timing chain front crank
seal and fan hub I haven't had any problems yet I got everything I needed from Hughes engine the timing chain wow what diff in how the truck ran after they said it was out like 12 degrees it was that far streched

Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

heres some more information.
so i checked under it this morning(cold) and it was not leaking dripping at all. i get to where i going which far enough to get the truck to operating temp, i looked again and it was almost streaming...dripping at a rate ive never seen it before. all from the same spot i mentioned in op. i quickly grabbed a drain pan and got under it with some rags to try to isolate the leak. the lower rad hose was soaked but that could be from the balancer flinging fluid everywhere.
it was leaking at a rather progressive rate, but only at operating temp. what do you guys think here? def the water pump?
also before this leak really became known i noticed coolant smell walking around the front of my truck when running after about 10 mins or so.
im almost sure its the water pump gasket is gone.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Between the two bearings there is a hole(bottom middle), When the seal starts leak it will come out the hole. This sounds like what is happening. Clime under it and look directly under the water pump, It shouldn't be hard to spot.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:13 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparite
Between the two bearings there is a hole(bottom middle), When the seal starts leak it will come out the hole. This sounds like what is happening. Clime under it and look directly under the water pump, It shouldn't be hard to spot.
ill grab a work light and see if i can spot it

Old 09-27-2015, 12:14 AM
ReadRam
All Star

The weep hole is is hard to see because of location on back side of pulley. Probably leaking and dripping down on the balancer. Time for a new pump.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:59 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the timing cover dry up top where the two big coolant passages go through?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:00 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Originally Posted by horatio102
Is the timing cover dry up top where the two big coolant passages go through?
yes dry

video incoming.

Quick Reply: possible water pump?