2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P 1740 Code 2001 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatJeepGuy
I can say one thing, when I removed the check ball (was brand new) not much fluid came out of the line or radiator and it was at normal temp.
There's your problem. The ATF should have just fallen out.

Could the OD be locking up while stopped in first?
It'd feel a lot like you'd expect from taking off in 2nd gear if that were happening.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 AM
ThatJeepGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to try some heavy air to the cooler and see if some junk blows out I guess and another batch or fluid and filter and see where that gets me. Maybe just put a new radiator in it as it looks original with no external cooler.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:30 PM
ThatJeepGuy

Your thoughts please. Installed new radiator, flushed out the trans again and new filter. Its not holding back like it did last time on a dead start but after a bit of stop and go the OD is shutting off still and I got the trans temp light again. Have been running it with a snappon scan tool and the temp is correct. When the OD shuts off the trans is hitting 250-261 and used a thermal temp finder to verify the temp is correct. On the highway above 65 in overdrive it stays around 200 degrees and is fine. Just doing this in stop and go. Where can there be a clog? New rad, and lines with no check ball? Something I should check or take apart?
Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:33 PM
ThatJeepGuy

Also, it is still shifting great. Stall off of dead stop engages mildly 1400 and firmly 1750. Converter failure? Pump?

Old 01-25-2016, 05:56 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Converter failure? Pump?
It seems a good time to look at that Sonnax tech tip.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 AM
ThatJeepGuy

Ready for trans shop to check it out. Tried the Sonnax tip again, Pulled valve body and dissembled and cleaned. All was nice and new inside. Checked Band adjustment and readjusted but were set correct. Blew out New lines and New Radiator with no blockage or dirt found. Also re tested all sensors and harness with no issues. Looking at a pump or converter I feel. Still driving fine and shifting great for 30-45 min of regular 40-60 mph driving holding 220 degrees and then will jump to 265/270 and just stay there shutting OD off. Did not get it up to temp light this time though. Thanks for all the help on this you have all been very helpful!

Quick Reply: P 1740 Code 2001 Ram 1500