2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:33 PM
addictionsola
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Lines

I'm replacing the transmission in my 98' Ram 1500 and want to replace the cooler lines going to the tranny as well. (its the 5.9L with 46RE)

It's got the stock tow package, so it has an aux transmission cooler.

I'm having a heck of a time finding replacement lines for this thing. Ideally I'd like to replace both lines going to the transmission, and the line going from the radiator to the cooler. (They're all oil soaked, and I believe that the 2 lines going to the tranny are leaking at the tranny.)

Does anybody know of anywhere to get replacement lines?? I've found a couple online but it looks like those lines are for vehicles without the aux cooler.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-27-2015, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Do you want to replace the steel lines? If so, Why?? Flush them out good, and call it a day. Do the check valve delete though. (see DIY section.)

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-27-2015, 04:14 PM
addictionsola

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you want to replace the steel lines? If so, Why?? Flush them out good, and call it a day. Do the check valve delete though. (see DIY section.)

Welcome to DF!
I was thinking a replacement line would come in one piece (steel + rubber.) I'm not so much worried about the steel lines as I am the rubber lines with the crimped fittings.

I'm assuming there are O-Rings i can replace on the transmission side of things if they're leaking?

The check valve is definitely going to go away, I just live in the middle of BFE with no hardware stores nearby so I have to compile a list to take to the city and get the parts.

I've been a long time lurker I actually posted a few times under a different name, but I lost that e-mail account.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the crimped fittings do tend to leak.... trouble is, simply replacing those lines with the stock replacement hoses just means they will stop leaking for a little while, but, eventually, they will start leaking again...... Making up your own lines would be your best bet.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 PM
addictionsola

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, the crimped fittings do tend to leak.... trouble is, simply replacing those lines with the stock replacement hoses just means they will stop leaking for a little while, but, eventually, they will start leaking again...... Making up your own lines would be your best bet.

Perfect, that's probably what I'll do. Any thoughts on fixing potentially leaking lines going INTO the transmission?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I *think* they are quick disconnects, with o-rings..... Would have to look in the service manual to see. You can download your from here.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Lines