2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas pedal stuck on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Behindblueyes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal stuck on freeway

Good morning, really looking for some advice here. I was driving my truck 98 1500 5.9 on the freeway doing about 70 took my foot off the gas and it took off. I was impressed for about 2 seconds till I tried to press the brakes and they didn't work. I got in the emergency lane put it in neutral got off the off ramp my brakes still not working shoved it in park at 30 so I wouldn't go into the intersection. I know I should've turned the key off but It just didn't occur to me then I just wanted it to stop and am happy no one got hurt.
After I got it towed home I started it and it was still at full throttle so I turned it off and looked at the gas pedal it was stuck down so I wiggled it and it came back up. There's no mat on my side I wish it was that easy. I'm no mechanic I can do the simple stuff after watching alot of youtube videos but this I didn't wanna mess with as I take my kids to school in this truck and cant imagine it taking off into an intersection full of little ones.
I got it towed to a domestic shop since the dealer has no openings till after thanksgiving. He said everything looks good the throttle cable throttle body, he replaced the pcv valve it had a crack. He's been driving it around freeway included and it hasn't happened so hes going to disconnect the cruise control he says maybe that it malfunctioned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

What do you mean the brakes didn't work??

Old 10-28-2015, 05:21 PM
COL
Rookie

Shoot man, I gave mine the boot today and for the first time ever the pedal got stuck under the thick rubber floor mat and I litterally about turned a poor ole lady driving a Taurus into a taco at the intersection, I railed the brakes and they didn't seem to slow me down much when the truck was going full bore, I kicked the pedal and it unlodged from under the mat and everything was A-OK. Scary stuff man.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Behindblueyes

Glad your alright col, yeah that kinda stuff makes u open ur eyes quite a bit. The floormat fiasco happened to me in my first car learned that real early. Hey YouThe brakes wouldn't go down at all, hard as a rock, just got the truck back the mechanic just took off the cruise control and put new battery terminals he said my loose terminals must have spiked the cruise control. My pedal is a little higher, but the truck got hot quick just driving 2 miles home. I don't know what to think .

Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

How hot? May have more than one problem going on there.....

Quick Reply: Gas pedal stuck on freeway