2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New dizzy cap, broke rotor, won't run.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015 | 01:58 PM
Twmays
|
Veteran
Default New dizzy cap, broke rotor, won't run.

Ugh. Frickin truck.

So, I had two codes: random misfire and cyl 3 misfire. I was tracing my plug wires (plugs looked great) and when I got back to the cap it rocked back and forth (right/left) on the distributor. Figured "that can't be good" so I went to replace the cap and rotor.

Then the sh** hit the fan.

After putting the new cap/rotor in, it wouldn't start. Checked firing order, checked out. Double checked all connections. All good, still won't start. Cranks over and over and over. No go. So I took the new cap off and right away saw the new rotor had hit one of the posts, scratched the side of the cap, and then shattered. So after removing the damaged cap and remnants of the rotor, reinstalled the old (after cleaning some corrosion, everything else looked good) and it still wouldn't start.

Did the rotor hitting the post and shattering push the dizzy out of sync? Is that even possible? Do I need to replace the whole distributor?

Any guidance would be helpful.

(And in case the sig doesn't show up, '01 5.2L 135k miles)

Old 11-05-2015 | 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Rotor isn't mean enough to screw up anything else, 'cept maybe the cam sensor? Did it get damaged? (it's under the dist cap.)

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:21 PM
Twmays
|
Veteran

Well, got it running today. I managed to foul all 8 plugs. Didn't think I cranked it that much, but apparently I did. Anyway, cleaned it all up and it was good to go.

I hate it when it's the simple stuff that screws it all up.

Quick Reply: New dizzy cap, broke rotor, won't run.