2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Big 3 Upgrade ?.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Bwally1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
You may elaborate what you need this improvement for? Are you running a big stereo amps, plow, lights what? If you are putting in a larger amp alternator you will need larger cables to supply the power. All has to do with amp draw/load/distance of wire. There is a chart on the crutchfield link. Also keep in mind battery cable uses thick strands of wire where audio power cable uses thin strands for the same cable gauge. Battery cable is not that flexible that's why the thin strand type is preferred for longer lengths and ease of installation.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...uge_chart.html
So going to a 250 alternator, four kc lights on the roll bar, possibly 4 more to 7 more on the front and a winch in the future, you suggest doing it before I go modding?

Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Thicker wire for the alternator to battery. I would install relay/s for the lights. Make sure you use the correct gauge wire to the lights and power from the battery. And lets see a pic of it when it's done.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:54 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Hey Redhead! Welcome Back!

Still driving the Chevy?
Yep, other than little things here and there it's running good just miss being lifted and loud. I was really only here because of the rockauto discount page cause I needed a new window motor, and figured I throw in a post.

Looks like some good threads going on though

Quick Reply: Big 3 Upgrade ?.