2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans fluid issue , no ATF+4

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans fluid issue , no ATF+4

Hello,
I just had my trustworthy mechanic install a detroit trutrac in my 2001 9.25 rear. He asked me which fluid to use, and I told him ATF+4. I'm in Honduras, and he called all the major shops in the country and couldn't find it.

I told him to put Mercon V in, and i ordered some lubegard black.

I had a different mechanic rebuild my tranny a bit over a year ago, and he told me he put in ATF+4. I don't believe him.

My current mechanic needed to add 4-5 quarts of mercon V.

Question: How much lubegard black should I put in, and can I just add it in now?
Or, should I replace all the fluid and mix it in 1 oz per quart all at once?

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only put atf 4 in the transmission, and your differential takes 80w-90 without friction modifier. Don't use any mercon or lubegard.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:21 PM
94Beater
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a rear differential.
You need gear oil
80W90 or 85W140 if you tow a lot
Either regular oil or synthetic will do
Absolutely NO ATF in your rear differential!!!

Old 12-11-2015, 09:20 AM
nicraage
Professional

Sorry, I'm an idiot or I was tired when I typed that up.
Forget about the gear oil, I also had my torque converter replaced at the same time.

So I am talking about transmission fluid. There is no ATF+4 in this country, that we can find.
Reading the specs a while back, I remember Mercon V was the closest to ATF+4 (but not close enough to use alone). I don't have a lot of choices, so I think I will end up flushing it all out and putting mercon V with lubgard in it.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:34 AM
jsmith1969
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicraage
Sorry, I'm an idiot or I was tired when I typed that up.
Forget about the gear oil, I also had my torque converter replaced at the same time.

So I am talking about transmission fluid. There is no ATF+4 in this country, that we can find.
Reading the specs a while back, I remember Mercon V was the closest to ATF+4 (but not close enough to use alone). I don't have a lot of choices, so I think I will end up flushing it all out and putting mercon V with lubgard in it.
Amazon or other retailers won't deliver there?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 AM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by jsmith1969
Amazon or other retailers won't deliver there?
There is no "mail", nor addresses in this country. I would have to deliver via my Army Post office. I was thinking about trying, but it might be on the edge of the rules, as it is an oil product. Alternately, I can ship it freight through a company, but it may take a month.

I guess for the time being, until I can get my hands on some ATF+4, I'd like to know the best solution.

Here are the specs I read on Mercon V being the closest match:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

The problem is, I don't know what was in it before

Last edited by nicraage; 12-11-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

What about through the army? They must have some kind of supplies for their vehicles. ATF+4 superseded all the previously used versions. Can you find +3 there?

Old 12-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From that article your best bet would dexron plus lubegard.

From article

Kristen Clark, marketing manager for Lubegard, wrote: “Lubegard has test data on its Lubegard Highly Friction Modified (HFM) ATF Supplement being used in Dexron III in place of Mopar ATF +3. Our packaging includes one of our tests — “Clutch Slip after engagement” — showing the torque curves on it. This compares Lubegard HFM ATF Supplement added to Dexron III vs. Chrysler's Mopar ATF+3. We have proof our products match the frictional characteristics of various other ATF fluids such as Mopar ATF + 4 as well.”

It also seems atf+4 is just atf+3 that last a lot longer.

Last edited by Ham Bone; 12-11-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:12 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
What about through the army? They must have some kind of supplies for their vehicles. ATF+4 superseded all the previously used versions. Can you find +3 there?
I went ahead and tried to order it. We will see if it gets rejected, lol. In the meantime I added some lubegard, and will not drive it much.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:14 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
From that article your best bet would dexron plus lubegard.

From article

Kristen Clark, marketing manager for Lubegard, wrote: “Lubegard has test data on its Lubegard Highly Friction Modified (HFM) ATF Supplement being used in Dexron III in place of Mopar ATF +3. Our packaging includes one of our tests — “Clutch Slip after engagement” — showing the torque curves on it. This compares Lubegard HFM ATF Supplement added to Dexron III vs. Chrysler's Mopar ATF+3. We have proof our products match the frictional characteristics of various other ATF fluids such as Mopar ATF + 4 as well.”

It also seems atf+4 is just atf+3 that last a lot longer.
wow, you are right, that somehow didn't register, thanks.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid issue , no ATF+4