2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical and drivetrain questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 AM
groenberg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical and drivetrain questions

Hi, so i went to the vehicle inspection, which is obligated once a year here, and there were a few things that did not pass.

The speedometer (usually they don't take notes on this, but my luck..). I have changed both sensors, the one in the tranny and the one in the rear axle. Have checked the wiring, but could not see any damage offhand. The wierd part is, i don't have any warning lights in dash, even though the ABS doesn't work.

Anyone know if i have to remove the whole dashboard to see if someone has mixtured with the warning lights back there (which i'm guessing)?

Btw, i searched for the ABS relay and fuse, found out i didn't have any, so i bought new ones but when i was going to install them, there were no electrical wirings underneath so the relay had nothing to be connected to, if you can understand my wierd explanation?

On to the drivetrain subject, when i turn the wheels fully (most to the left), the whole car jumps up and down like you are driving on sharp rocks or something, bad driving shaft??

I had to weld a distance between the "stoppers" that prevents you from turning the wheels too much, because my tires otherwise touched the control arms. So i know the tires are not touching anything.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

What's wrong with your speedo? Does it simply not work? Inaccurate? Yours is driven by the sensor in the tailshaft housing of the trans/t-case. (do you have 2 or 4 wheel drive?)

Pull the cupholder, and the trim surround on the dash will pull off. (but, likes to disintegrate when you do, so, be careful) then, it's just a few screws to pull the instrument cluster. Of course, all your bulbs should "test" when you first turn the ignition on.

For the drivetrain, it sounds for all the world like you are in 4 wheel drive, on a high traction surface. That's just bad news, and tends to break things.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:06 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Sorry for being unclear, it's completely dead. It's a 4WD. Yeah the bulbs test, so i'm guessing that someone has wired them so they test when ignition is on and go out when th car starts.

Yes i often have the 4WD engaged (4 high), but it's only because it's so much snow and ice outside now, so i don't know about high traction. Shouldn't you be able to have 4 wheel drive engaged when you're making sharper turns?

Old 12-20-2015, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

See if you can get someone to plug in a scan tool, and see if there are any codes set. Might be enlightening. Need to know if the PCM is seeing a speed sensor signal. If it isn't, speedo won't work, and abs lite will be on. (as the abs won't be working either.)

How much snow? In 4 wheel drive, the front and rear wheels are locked together, if you have good traction, or even 'decent' traction, you will get the behavior you describe.... The front wheels travel a different path than the rears when turning, sharper the turn, more pronounced the difference, and something has to give. The hopping/jerking is the driveline loading/unloading, and the better the traction, the worse it will be.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:05 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See if you can get someone to plug in a scan tool, and see if there are any codes set. Might be enlightening. Need to know if the PCM is seeing a speed sensor signal. If it isn't, speedo won't work, and abs lite will be on. (as the abs won't be working either.)

How much snow? In 4 wheel drive, the front and rear wheels are locked together, if you have good traction, or even 'decent' traction, you will get the behavior you describe.... The front wheels travel a different path than the rears when turning, sharper the turn, more pronounced the difference, and something has to give. The hopping/jerking is the driveline loading/unloading, and the better the traction, the worse it will be.
Yeah, i guess i'll have to take it to a shop that reads codes. Yes, you are correct about the 4WD, since i have no differential

I also have some brake questions btw.

Sometimes when i'm going at a low speed forward and wanting to brake, it's like you slam on the brakes for all it's worth although you're barely touching the pedal. The brakecylinder is new, although the car has been sitting for one and a half year after it was replaced.

And i need to replace the brake shoes. It has probably been an oil leak in the drum on one side so the brake is useless, do I have to buy a new drum? I've heard that the drum keep "bleeding" oil once you've had an oil leak in it so it's just wasting your money to replace the shoes if you don't do something about the drum!?

Old 12-28-2015, 02:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

My brakes, the first stop of the day, just about toss me thru the windshield..... but, after that, they are fine.... I just apply lightly as I am going down my driveway, and that usually takes care of it.... if your does it more frequently, going to want to fix the obvious issues first, and see if that doesn't take care of it.

I just clean out the drum with some brake cleaner, and then turn 'em a couple thousandths. (which you want to do anyway.) Never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Electrical and drivetrain questions