2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge hates the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 06:51 AM
BillyRed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyRed
So I recently bought a 2001 dodge ram 1500. 318. Only problem I've had until recently is the tensioner pulley locked up which was no problem. The other day I went to the store and it drove fine all the way they until I went to park. As I slowed down it started idling down and came very close to dying. When I came to a complete stop it idled back up and started running fine again. When I left however it idled all over the place and I couldn't get it past 7mph. The next day it ran just fine. Drove her for hours with no problem. Then today I went to leave work and it did the save thing but I was able to get to speed with her rpm's going all over the place. I noticed that every time I touched the gas it would make a sound like compressed air escaping in a quick pop. It was raining every time this happened. So I don't know if the rain has anything to do with it or not but I would really appreciate any input.
Little update. I had to take my wife to work the other day and she ran like a champ. I've nothing to her since I changed her cap and rotor. Ive have no problems at all really. But I'm still going to take the suggestions everyone's made and replace the aic and probably my plugs/wires/ and coil to be on the safe side.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Warlock_III
Amateur
Default 2nd Gen won't run is rain fixed?

Good call. Keep us posted on how it's doing.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Thurmand92

Originally Posted by BillyRed
Little update. I had to take my wife to work the other day and she ran like a champ. I've nothing to her since I changed her cap and rotor. Ive have no problems at all really. But I'm still going to take the suggestions everyone's made and replace the aic and probably my plugs/wires/ and coil to be on the safe side.
Had the same problem with my 99 it was the coil shorting out in the rain after a while the dielectric paint on the coil flakes off and then any amount of water that gets on it shorts it out.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM
BillyRed

Originally Posted by Thurmand92
Had the same problem with my 99 it was the coil shorting out in the rain after a while the dielectric paint on the coil flakes off and then any amount of water that gets on it shorts it out.
I'll try that first then. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Dodge hates the rain?