2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow idle and longer cranking times

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 AM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after driving the truck for a week, I can say that the longer cranking times are fixed. It starts right up now, quickly. I also changed spark plug wires last weekend, so I'm not sure if that's what fixed the starting issue, or if cleaning the throttle body fixed it, but either way it's fixed. The other issue of a low warm idle when in gear is a bit better too, but it's still there. At a traffic light, it seems to be idling maybe 100rpm's too low. Judging by the tach, it appears to be at around 500rpm when in gear and my foot on the brake. In park, it's closer to 1000rpm. When it's at 500rpm, it still makes a minor stumble every so often. Fuel pressure???

Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Lean burn miss. Fairly normal on an older engine.

Wouldn't hurt to plug in a scan tool of some variety, and see if you can see what the PCM thinks engine idle is, when fully warmed, and in gear. (and also make sure the PCM sees that it IS in gear.)

Quick Reply: Slow idle and longer cranking times