2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Bagoftrix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearings...

Just swap brake rotors and have a question. Every vehicle I do any work on regardless of the task, I research the proper way to do the work for that particular vehicle. So when I researched my dodge 1500 2×4 for wheel bearing installation I found a few different opinions on the torque for the hub nut. One was 10 ft/lbs. and back off a quarter and no more, while others were finger tight after setting the bearing...which is backing the nut off alot more than a quarter turn. I was in a pinch for time and needed to get my truck out of my buddies shop before closing so I did the 10 ft/lbs. and back off a quarter. Is this going to be to tight and put to much pressure on the bearing? Appreciate the feedback...

Old 01-21-2016, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I usually run them down finger tight, and then just a little bit more. (spin the rotor while you are hand-tightening the nut, so the bearings actually seat...... sometimes, I will use a wrench to make it easier....)

Quick Reply: wheel bearings...