2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 PM
davidl00ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you for sure all grounds are hooked up on back of heads and front of motor

Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

For whatever reason, the PCM doesn't think the engine is turning. The power being there for a bit, then going away, even while the engine is turning, is a dead giveaway. Reasoning here is: If the PCM does not see the engine turning, it won't energize the ASD relay, which supplies power to the coil/injectors.

Are you actually getting five volts to the cam, and crank sensors?

Old 02-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For whatever reason, the PCM doesn't think the engine is turning. The power being there for a bit, then going away, even while the engine is turning, is a dead giveaway. Reasoning here is: If the PCM does not see the engine turning, it won't energize the ASD relay, which supplies power to the coil/injectors.

Are you actually getting five volts to the cam, and crank sensors?
When we manually cranked the cam with a wrench from below, it did read 5V properly. When I get home today, im going to put the new PCM back in, and test it and see if we can get it running. If in the event that it doesn't start after I put the brand new PCM in, what would you suspect the problem to be?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

For whatever reason, the PCM isn't seeing crank/cam signals. (one or the other, possibly both.) Verify you are getting power TO the sensors first. That should be there whenever the key is on.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Maximillio
Professional

SO, Good news I replaced the PCM once again and it started right up! I think the problem last time we had it in was the battery. That being said, now that it runs, the new transmission that JUST got rebuilt shifts fine EXCEPT while in gear (D,2,1), will not shift out of first. So that's a new problem we've got to fix.. Wonder whats causing that.. We noticed the trans was leaking where it joined the engine so we thought fluids may be low from leaking over a few days since we put it in, SO we filled it but no difference.

I appreciate the help btw!

Old 02-20-2016, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Now that it runs, take it back to where you had the trans work done, and have them take a look. A fresh rebuild should NOT be leaking anything.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Well I think its leaking because my dad forgot to do the seal properly when he hooked it back up to the engine lol Still don't know why it wouldn't shift after being freshly rebuilt even with proper fluid levels.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Maximillio
Professional

So we got the transmission fixed (As far as we know) but when we went to go drive, it ran for a couple of seconds (over 30), and then it died, and we havent been able to start it since. We assumed it was a fuel problem, so my dad replaced the fuel pump; still wouldn't start. So then he went out and got ANOTHER new PCM, and it is doing exactly what it did before, keeping the fuel pump running constantly when the key is in the on position. Not sure what could be at fault this time... Any suggestions/ideas?

Old 03-21-2016, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Where are you getting your computers from?

Old 03-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where are you getting your computers from?
My dad works at O'reilly Auto, so he gets them there.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start