2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ground wires from firewall

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 AM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech
Intake manifold, Water pump, radiator, heater core are not cast iron. Cast iron sealing surfaces can pit also, just not as fast and not as deep.
Well good thing I snipped it as close to the eyelet connector as I did then and kept the wire. I will be sure to cut it back a bit on each end,put new connectors on,and bolt it back in where it goes....I have enough crap to deal with.
I just didn't want a ground wire flying around loose in there when I noticed it and broke free of it's connector in the Head.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Oh Dodge
Well good thing I snipped it as close to the eyelet connector as I did then and kept the wire. I will be sure to cut it back a bit on each end,put new connectors on,and bolt it back in where it goes....I have enough crap to deal with.
I just didn't want a ground wire flying around loose in there when I noticed it and broke free of it's connector in the Head.

It's not a huge deal, but you will get more pitting over time. The point is that it CAN happen.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Zach Kraemer

Originally Posted by studders
I wonder how long it is been off? I've had the heads replaced but that's been about 8 years ago. Wouldn't something not work right or throw a code. Haven't noticed anything unusual happening from it not being connected to something.

Have you figured out where all your grounds go? I recently did a engine swap. And now get a p1391 loss of cam or crank code. And trying to trace all my wiring. Because both engines ran when pulled.. i spun main bearing in my origional motor. And this new one came out of a buddies wrecked durango. But ran great. And now isnt running great lol so any help is appreciated

Old 10-16-2020, 12:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach Kraemer
Have you figured out where all your grounds go? I recently did a engine swap. And now get a p1391 loss of cam or crank code. And trying to trace all my wiring. Because both engines ran when pulled.. i spun main bearing in my origional motor. And this new one came out of a buddies wrecked durango. But ran great. And now isnt running great lol so any help is appreciated
Did you use the sensors off your original motor? Did you pull the crank sensor before you installed and removed the engines?

Old 10-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Zach Kraemer

I did use my origional sensor that sits in the bell housing. But i used the durangos pick up(cam position) and the other one right out side next to distributor.

The following users liked this post:
MikeDakota (02-28-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Zach Kraemer

Do you know where the driver side head ground wire bolts to? I dont remember.. sorry for the stupid little questions. But im trying to rid of this p1391 code. And make this run like it did before the spun bearing.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach Kraemer
Do you know where the driver side head ground wire bolts to? I dont remember.. sorry for the stupid little questions. But im trying to rid of this p1391 code. And make this run like it did before the spun bearing.
I don't know if the sensors are different they might be. If you didn't pull the crank sensor before pulling the motor and installing it after the motor install it could be damaged. On my truck it bolts to the head and the firewall but it's not important. The engine has other grounds

Old 10-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

p1391 loss of cam or crank code
You need to find out witch it is first. And the sensors have their own ground from the PCM not the engine.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:00 AM
PDW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK---From those three, One goes As mentioned, to the Backside of the [L] Head (bolt faces FW),
the Two on the FW itself lead to the A/T "Brain"(near the Hvac Condenser) and Main ECU (closer to the Batt)
I may be off a bit, but the Head Mounted on on mine broke off So to quiet concerns of Arcing it or Blowing vitals I snipped it off. As mentioned there are So many Ground Paths between the battery, chassis,Body, and engine Block it'self BESIDES one carried throughout the harnesses One ground cut out is equal to a single grain of sand at the beach.
I have the same three ground wires one is connected to the Head one connected to the block and the other one is just hanging there on the other side of the engine there is another ground wire connected from the Head to the firewall.
The one that is hanging there where does it go it's just kind of wrapped around the hose on the AC condenser does anybody have a picture of where to fasten the loose end?

Old 06-22-2021, 12:01 AM
PDW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK---From those three, One goes As mentioned, to the Backside of the [L] Head (bolt faces FW),
the Two on the FW itself lead to the A/T "Brain"(near the Hvac Condenser) and Main ECU (closer to the Batt)
I may be off a bit, but the Head Mounted on on mine broke off So to quiet concerns of Arcing it or Blowing vitals I snipped it off. As mentioned there are So many Ground Paths between the battery, chassis,Body, and engine Block it'self BESIDES one carried throughout the harnesses One ground cut out is equal to a single grain of sand at the beach.
I have the same three ground wires one is connected to the Head one connected to the block and the other one is just hanging there on the other side of the engine there is another ground wire connected from the Head to the firewall.
The one that is hanging there where does it go it's just kind of wrapped around the hose on the AC condenser does anybody have a picture of where to fasten the loose end?

Quick Reply: Ground wires from firewall