2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 1500 5.2L Runs rough cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM
weaver9776
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram 1500 5.2L Runs rough cold

Ok so I just got this truck and when you first start it it runs really rough, especially under a load (going up a hill). Once it's warm, it actually runs pretty good. I have already replaces the idle air control valve because it has shown a code for that but without resolve. Any ideas? Fire away! Thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try unplugging the pre-cat oxygen sensor to force the PCM to stay in open loop mode. If the rough running doesn't come along while the thing is unplugged, replace it. Use only a dealership part, Denso, or NTK. Any other is more likely than not to disagree with the PCM's slow feedback loop.

Also: Don't let the thing running well without that sensor fool you into thinking that you can just run without it. You can, true, but you won't like the result.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:11 PM
weaver9776
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Try unplugging the pre-cat oxygen sensor to force the PCM to stay in open loop mode. If the rough running doesn't come along while the thing is unplugged, replace it. Use only a dealership part, Denso, or NTK. Any other is more likely than not to disagree with the PCM's slow feedback loop.

Also: Don't let the thing running well without that sensor fool you into thinking that you can just run without it. You can, true, but you won't like the result.
So, when I unplug it, I should expect it to run rough correct? If it doesn't change then it's bad? Did I understand you correctly?

Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by weaver9776
So, when I unplug it, I should expect it to run rough correct? If it doesn't change then it's bad?
It's the other way around. If it doesn't run rough with the sensor unplugged, the sensor is bad. Oh, yeah: Expect a CEL and code for the sensor when it's unplugged. Just clear it later.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 1500 5.2L Runs rough cold