2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power mirror passenger side stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:58 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power mirror passenger side stopped working

Power mirror passenger side stop working, driver side works fine. I took passenger side door panel off and did some testing. Disconnected wire socket that goes to mirror. Ran wires (pos & neg) from battery to test, mirror motor worked fine when running directly from battery.

When hooking volt tester to elect socket coming out of door, no matter how I moved the mirror adjustment switch, it would not show any voltage. I had meter set right as it showed voltage when testing from the wires I had coming from battery.

So my first thought was the switch to adjust mirrors was bad, worked fine when turned for driver side, not good when turned for passenger side. Needed new switch or just don't worry about hardly ever use and can do manual adjustment.

Then I thought, in November I had friend replace heater core, he completely removed dash from truck. Could he have left something unhooked? I know he forgot parking brake switch, but that was easy find. This problem could have been there long before dash was taken out, don't know, don't make adjustments often. Did replace that mirror about three years ago, all was fine at that point.

I would guess he didn't leave anything unhooked, my guess is that there is only one wire harness going to everything in that door, power locks and window all work, just no volts to mirror.

My question is am I right, does one wire harness go to everything in the passenger door? If that is true it has to be the switch.

Last edited by diverjer; 03-13-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Grab the service manual for your truck from here. Check the wiring harness pics, as I do not think there is a connector from one side to the other, but, I have been wrong before.....

Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 PM
diverjer
Professional

Thanks, I actually did look at the manual, downloaded it some time ago. On page 823 I found a map of the wiring, but I have never understood one of those things, I might as well be looking at something written in Chinese. I need simple, this is where the yellow wire goes, blue and white.

Think I will settle for a manual right mirror for now, There has got to be some path from the switch over to pass door and you would thing they would all be bundled into one harness. A friend has lots of junked cars/trucks, might look around there for a switch. He actually had a dash for this truck laying out in a pile with the heater core, but I declined using that heater core for a replacement.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looking at the harness, it appears to be all one piece, no connectors inside the cab, aside from the two at each door. There is another one in the door for the mirror switch.

Test the switch, looks like it's bad.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 PM
diverjer
Professional

Thanks, I have been studying that schematics and understand some more such as the P74, P70 going left and polarity reversed for going right. That goes along with my testing directly hooked to battery. Also after studying I do see where they describe the colors. What is a bit confusing is P74 starts out as C310 (what ever that C310 means I don't know, but guess circuit #) and as P74 travels along it goes to C201, C240, ....

But I don't need to know all that, did learn something and found somewhat interesting. There are two connections by the main mirror switch, one going to the left and one to the right side. It is possible that the one going to the right has come loose and then the other possibility is like you said the switch itself.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I only have one connector for the switch. (and I think the "c" numbers you are looking at are connector numbers.)

Old 03-14-2016, 07:13 PM
diverjer
Professional

Got it fixed. You got me on the right track, with explaining what that C meant. Figured there had to be more connections to check. There was a connection on passenger side behind kick panel, had to remove kick panel and glove box, the connectors were pushed together, but not enough. Took an extra push from above and below and heard a click- then mirror worked. Wish that manual actually told you where each connector was located, but found it anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Actually, it does. There is a section for Connector/Ground locations.

Glad ya got it fixed.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:14 AM
diverjer
Professional

Wow, right in front of me, it was C240. If I need to look at one of these charts again I will know a lot more. At first look, it is overwhelming, but if you just look it does start making sense.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have found that electrical is generally the most fun to sort out. (for certain values of "fun".....) electrically caused performance problems are right at the top of my list of things I like to avoid getting into. But, of course, that is the most common problem.

Quick Reply: Power mirror passenger side stopped working