2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016 | 08:58 PM
Dajudn
|
Default Suspension Questions.

Hey, this is my first post, and I'd like to start out with a question. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Larimie SLT with the 5.2 liter V8. It seems taller than every other one I see, and I don't think it have any lift. I got it as a present, and it was made in the Mexico factory, and I think it spent it's life there, before ending up in MN. I put new tires on it, 245/75R16, without looking at the door sticker, cause the internet said that's what I needed. Turns out, the door says I need LT225/75R16, and someone said that I might have a HD package, since it was taller, it might have HD springs, and needed HD tires. I was wondering if that was a thing that happened with some trucks, and if I got new shocks, if it would affect the height any.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2016 | 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What the door sticker says, and what tires your truck actually came with, can be two entirely different things. Mine says 245/75/16 on the door sticker, but, the build sheet says 265/75/16, which is what is indeed on the truck, and the speedo is accurate.

There is a link in the FAQ section here, that you can get the build sheet for your truck. Exactly what it came with from the factory. Highly recommended. (ignore the part about rack and pinion steering though...... that seems to be a dodge goofy moment.)

Shocks won't affect ride height.

Your truck may have a leveling kit though, take a look at the springs in front, see if there is a spacer visible on top of the spring.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions.