2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gear Selection. Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:31 PM
byronpen
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Selection. Off

Ok had to disconnected the shifting lever to the transmission. Not my shifter is all off. I cant get in to Drive ect ect. How do I resent my lever and transmission to park.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Check the linkage and make sure everything is tight. There are plastic bushing that like to disintegrate over time, and make things sloppy. If that's ok, there is a procedure in the service manual to adjust the linkage, and make the indicator accurate.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resetting the linkage isn't a very difficult task, what is a PITA is getting it right in the sweet spot.

I much prefer the Rod type linkage Our 2000 Ram Laramie has over the cable linkage My buddy had on his 1999 Dakota Sport 4wd, namely because the sweet spot is smaller on the aged and stretched cable

As for resetting Rod type linkage properly, I have always started by setting the parking brake, then with engine off,

1) Turn the key far enough to unlock the steering gear selector locking mechanism,
2) Move the selector all the way to the end (D1) then crawl under the vehicle,
3) Loosen the linkage slide/adjuster locking bolt just enough it starts to slip
4) Reach over to the side of the AT, manually check that it is fully in the last gearing position (D1)
5) Tighten the adjuster Bolt, go back topside, move the selector to N and bump the key.....the vehicle WILL not engage the starter outside of N and P due to the safety switch
unless it is at least extremely close to perfect.
6) Start the vehicle, put it in Park, release the parking brake listening for the distinct pop of the Park Rod/Pawl full engagement (I have a mildly sloped driveway)
7) Proceed with caution and run through each selection with engine running and monitor for a premature or delayed engagement of the indicated selection.

If it is off still, start over 1-7 Or just fine tune if needed.

Adjusting the cable linkage type is done similarly to adjusting the TV cable.

1) Put it in park by selector
2) Carefully release the plastic locking clip--once free of dirt and grime it has a spring that pushes it apart to take slack out of the cable
Be Careful because that clip tends to become brittle with age and if it breaks you will need a whole new cable.
3) Pop the end of the shift linkage cable free of the ball joint type post it locks onto
4) Manually check that it is fully engaged into park
5) Slowly compress the adjuster body until the ball joint cup is in alignment with it's post.
6) Start the vehicle, put it in Park, release the parking brake listening for the distinct pop of the Park Rod/Pawl full engagement (I have a mildly sloped driveway)
7) Proceed with caution and run through each selection with engine running and monitor for a premature or delayed engagement of the indicated selection.

If it is off still, start over 1-7 Or just fine tune if needed.

Last edited by Double Oh Dodge; 03-20-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Gear Selection. Off