2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Nv4500 swap success

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nv4500 swap success

Just got done putting a nv4500 behind my 360 and man let me tell you, no regrets at all. That is a monster tranny and it is way more satisfying than my darn 46re. My only issue was making driveshaft mate to my 9.25. My 9.25 had the circular companion flange that gets mated to the circular yoke plate, no clamp style. And there's no crossover there.... No one makes a combination joint to make it work. Right now I have a flange off an f series 250 van that I tapped out the holes to make it work. And I was able to make the u joint extra long on the two bearing caps by shimming with pennies on the inside of those two caps. Believe it or not it fit quite nicely and everything is fine. However this is just to get me around, I want it done properly. The half shaft is actually about 2 inches too short because of the difference in the mating lengths. My question, can I take the yoke off a Dana 60 axel and put that into my 9.25? They are both 29 spline.... Please don't recommend me put a Dana 60 in, I like my 9.25 and it is cheap for parts and almost identical to a 60s properties. If you've ever compared the internals side by side they are quite close, and the use of c clip axels makes it quite easy on me. Thanks guys!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

If the diameter of the splined areas are the same, then yeah, should be able to do that. I wouldn't hold my breath on that though....

Why couldn't you use the 1500 shaft that was originally in there? Are the outputs on the t-case the same??

Old 03-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

full floating axle>>>>>>>>>>>>> c clip

anyway, you should be able to just use a 1500 driveshaft I would think, might have to get it lengthened, there is quite a bit of play with the slip yoke.

OR

take your driveshaft and the 1500 yoke to a driveline shop and have them change the yoke. Going rate around here for a shorten and balance, which is the same amount of work as swapping a yoke, is about 100 bucks. Pretty darn cheap insurance.

So what kind of driveshaft did you use to make it work?

another thing, is the early 1500s had the clamp style i think and didnt switch to the circular yokes till like OBD2?

Quick Reply: Nv4500 swap success