2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Underhood insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Underhood insulation?

I'm about to paint my truck and would like to replace my old sagging under-hood insulation material with something that looks nice and stays in place. Any suggestions as to what other folks here have used (examples with photos are highly appreciated)?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM
jsmith1969
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ripped mine out but if you want to replace it pretty sure LMC has it.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith1969
I ripped mine out but if you want to replace it pretty sure LMC has it.
Me too. Lol.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine with OEM from the dealership, you might wanna find some better retainers too, the stock ones don't hold very snug and caused my new panel to sag.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I did away with mine.
No perceivable difference in sound level, and as for insulation, I'd be happy to get heat out of the engine bay, not keep it in.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 AM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bout the only perceivable function I see of the underhood crap is to help reduce or totally prevent the paint from being scorched off of the metal from abnormally high engine temps.
As for that I don't think I know any Dodge built between 90-2014 not to have crappy quality OEM paint that is shot to sh*t, or already repainted with better.

Since paint is only as good as the prep work done and process used,that is where Dodge went AFU. They replaced their original multi jet sprayer system, with a rotisserie and dipped method.
Then leaving them to partially "drip dry" before starting the baking to cure process as well. The excuse being, more "cost effective, and EPA friendly" as well as less "wasteful of paint per body code paint lot"

Our's underhood material, fasteners and all was gone before we got the ole girl. I had to repair the underhood service light because of it I guess not being removed in any type of careful way.

Last edited by Double Oh Dodge; 03-30-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:09 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm looking for some under-hood insulation to help keep the new paint from being baked off the hood over time, in addition to making the hood look a bit neater. My insulation is sagging and I think birds had been making a nest under it.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 AM
jsmith1969
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=84 they even have one with a Ram symbol

Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I ran my Dakota for 5 years without the underhood insulation piece. Never had a problem with the paint being "baked off". Think about it, baking on paint makes it stronger anyhow....

Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I ran my Dakota for 5 years without the underhood insulation piece. Never had a problem with the paint being "baked off". Think about it, baking on paint makes it stronger anyhow....
That is a nice "theory" but an illogical one.
Using that thought and replacing paint with steel.........

Think about it, heating steel white hot is part of tempering and hardening it anyhow.....

with the implication that it cannot possibly hurt?

I am not trying to be the total a*sh*le in the crowd, but do you at least understand how asinine and stupid that truly is?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Dodge and always have since the first 67 Charger RT/SE Fastback I saw at a carshow as just a tiny tyke.

Dodge is still well known for crap transmission quality (more specifically their AT's) additionally starting in about '85 and becoming even more noticeable around 1990+/- to have crap quality paint and clearcoat.

Quick Reply: Underhood insulation?