2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCV rubber grommet

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Jake95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV rubber grommet

Hey guys. Tomorrow i am replacing my pcv valve, hose, and rubber grommet on the passenger side of my 5.9 magnum.

Since i am replacing all three and dont plan or want to pull off the cover, im thinking of taking a sharp utility knife and cutting into the grommet and removing both the PCV valve and grommet and valve first rather than risk using pliers and pilling the valve out and risk the bottom piece breaking and falling in. Does that seem like a good waybto go about it or should i just pull the cover off? (To be honest i am trying to avoid pulling the cover off but if i have to i will)

A small, stupid, silly question upon a simple repair. But it seems wise to just ask at the moment.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

See how tight the valve is hanging on, take it from there. I was able to place the valve, grommets, and such, without pulling the valve covers.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:18 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ x2.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The valve cover gaskets were designed to be reusable, so why not play it safe and pull the valve covers? Better safe than sorry, IMHO.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The grommets get hard over the years, so the likelihood of them having enough flex to allow the valve to pop out is slim... but as stated above, give it a shot.

I've had part of the bottom lip of the grommet break off one time, but was able to retrieve it with needle-nose pliers... I pieced it together to make sure I had it all.

I have also made a horizontal cut half way around under the top lip of the grommet, then pushed down and tilted the valve that direction, then lifted it up... this means the grommet has to deflect less, and gives it somewhere to go... if the piece breaks off, it is on the outside.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
The valve cover gaskets were designed to be reusable, so why not play it safe and pull the valve covers? Better safe than sorry, IMHO.
Remember the old "T" bolts for valve covers... for quick removal to adjust tappets, not just show.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Jake95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys!

I actually just finished replacing the hose, grommet, and valve without taking the covers off. Ended up cutting the grommet with two incisions and making a gap to pull the valve out and to squeez the grommet inward and pull that out.

Thanks for the info and help! Tommor is installing the rock solid ram steering kit.

Quick Reply: PCV rubber grommet