2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005 | 04:07 AM
habeba86
|
Record Breaker
Default 98 ram sport

So I am gona bring home a 98 ram 1500 sport short bed 4x4 and see if I like how it drives feeels and such. Is there anything I should look for problem wise anywhere. What should I inspect and be most worried about? It has the 5.2 and has 70thousand miles. I am also considering a 99 dakota sport 4x4 but I REALLY like the ram more. Thanx for any help. Adam S. ooo ya its an automatic...

Old 11-09-2005 | 03:44 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: 98 ram sport

Well, my 98 Ram (Non-Sport), had/has several things that I didn't know about.

1. Check the trackbar on the front Suspension. Mounts on the Drivers side of the frame rail above the axle, and goes to the Passenger side and mounts to the axle. The easiest way to check this is this to have an assistant sit in the Drivers seat, start the engine, and turn the wheel back and forth. You, being under the truck on the drivers side, will be looking for any appreciable movement in the joint for the track bar, where it mounts at the frame. While under there, also look at Tie Rod ends and other steering components.

2. How does it run? Good? Any misses? If it has the 5.9L (360) Magnum, take it to a shop and have the compression in each cylinder checked. If the compression is good, then no problems. If it isn't , in any single cylinder, you can expect some problems to start cropping up very soon. More than likely due to cracks in the cylinder heads between the Intake and Exhaust valves. This is a problem with this series of engine and is NOT limited to the Ram trucks only. Any truck where this engine is used will have that problem. Ram, Durango, Dakota, and Ram Van.

These are the two major problems that stick out in my mind on this truck. Why? Because I've dealt with both of them already. Other than that, I love my Ram and I'm going to miss it when and if I trade it in next month.

Old 11-09-2005 | 03:55 PM
habeba86
|
Record Breaker

Thanx alot, Ill check those out. It has the 5.2 in it. If I get it ill be sure to post up some pics. thanx again!

Old 11-09-2005 | 11:30 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

i have a white ram 1500 1998 5.2 sport, its wonderful, you know it has its moments, i.e. Oxygen Sensor, but i have 90k miles on it so good luck with ram its fun fast nice, btw do the exhaust, magnaflow catback is nice

Old 11-10-2005 | 12:23 AM
badram1500
Veteran

Check the trans fluid. should be a nice red and clear. no burned pine tree smell. How does it shift? not only in town but out on the road. is the od shift firm or does it slide in. The od in these tranys are a weak link. If you have the time I would put a pressure gage in the trans and check you main line pressure and line rise/tv boost this will give you a general idea of the tranys' condition.

Old 11-10-2005 | 05:53 AM
habeba86
|
Record Breaker

It seems to shift nice and the tranny fluid is a nice clear red color, but if the dealer jst changed it would it still be a nice clear red color and still have a problem. For some reason the reverse lights dont work and the check engine light came on when I was driving home, but it went off after i shut it off a couple times and it was fine for couple hours then it came back on as I was going down a little hill. When I turn I know its the power steering, but should i be able to hear it? Its not loud at all but a little noiser than I am used to? It seems to run perfectly normal besides that. OOO ya it has a like tag on the transmition case? that says new process gears. syracuse n.y. Is that after market? Back to the power steering the tires r 285 so could that make the pump have to work a little harder. thanx for all the help!! Adam S.

Quick Reply: 98 ram sport