2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high amp Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 PM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dad burn wires

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck

I think it's time to get out the ohmmeter and trace the control wires going to pins 85 and 86 on this worrisome Transmission Relay.

The PINK wire on pin 85 comes from the PCM CONNECTOR 2, PIN 30.
ok where is the connector you talking about? on the PCM? con 2 being the center one?

The DARK BLUE wire on PIN 86 comes from the PCM CONNECTOR 3, PIN 25.

where is connector 3 and I have to test from the PDC plug to the PCM plug is that right.
However, it first goes to SPLICE 116, wherever that is, where it also connects to the GENERATOR FIELD WINDING. The color of the wire remains DARK BLUE.

the darl blue is the wire g0ing to the generator?

I have no idea where this splice is physically located, but I suspect the problem is there. There seems to be a good connection between the Generator Field Winding and the PCM.

Good hunting!

thanks for the help

Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 PM
bunker
Professional
Default aarrggghhh

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Splice 116 is...
man I hate to take all that tape off but it looks like I have to the problem has to be between the pdc and tranny I suppose.

thanks

Last edited by bunker; 05-08-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More likely between the relay in the PDC and the Power Control Module (PCM) mounted on the passenger side firewall.
It has three large connectors on it. If you have to unplug any of them, disconnect the battery negative cable first.
You might be able to probe the wires or backprobe the connectors, and not have to disconnect them.
Be sure to have the key off.
Before taking any tape off, just expose the wires at the PCM connectors that you need to check.
All of the wires are conveniently available in the Transmission Relay socket.
Always start with one probe in the relay socket pin and the other at the far end of the wire you're testing.

The PCM connectors right-to-left are 1-2-3.
Yes, the DARK BLUE WIRE goes to SPLICE 116, then to the ALTERNATOR and the PCM. There must be continuity from the relay in the PDC to the ALTERNATOR and PCM for the circuit to work.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-08-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:36 PM
bunker
Professional

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
More likely between the relay in the PDC and the Power Control Module (PCM) mounted on the passenger side firewall. It has three large connectors on it. If you have to unplug any of them. disconnect the battery negative cable first. You might be able to probe the wires or backprobe the connectors.
Be sure to have the key off.
Roger that ill try that next

Old 05-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up Connection to Tranny

Originally Posted by bunker
man I hate to take all that tape off but it looks like I have to the problem has to be between the pdc and tranny I suppose.

thanks

ACTUALLY, THE CONNECTION TO THE TRANNY IS GOOD. THAT'S THE CONNECTION YOU MADE BY USING THE JUMPER IN PLACE OF THE RELAY. (THIS IS THE RELAY OUTPUT)

WE ARE TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT'S KEEPING THE PCM FROM TURNING THE RELAY ON.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Splice 116 is...

Thanks DBBD1 !

Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 AM
bunker
Professional
Default havent got that far down yet.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
With the ignition on, do you get 12 volts down to the trans? (I am guessing "No".....)
working my way down there not tried yet. im somewhere between the PCM amd PDC

Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I checked the socket terminals and they where a tad loose so I have them nice and tight now. no change in testing
The "no change": Does that mean that after tightening things up,v stuffing the relay back in, and resetting the trouble codes you still get new codes? The voltage measurements are yesterday's news by now.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
bunker
Professional
Default ger rabbit

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The "no change": Does that mean that after tightening things up,v stuffing the relay back in, and resetting the trouble codes you still get new codes? The voltage measurements are yesterday's news by now.
yes meaning no change in the way it drives and code.im still getting the 0753 code

I just got access to the all data web site tons of good info but I just don't know how to read them diagrams. my next step is to check all of the wiring between the PCM and PDC correct? and I know there is red,blue,pink wires to look for. but should I ohm them out before I go and unwrap all that tape and wire loom stuff? I only know to check the ohms for a bad wire. any suggestions? when the diagrams say splice, what does that mean? the wire has been cut and re joined there? don't understand that.

Last edited by bunker; 05-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes meaning no change in the way it drives and code.im still getting the 0753 code
Thanks for the clarification!

"Splice", whichis a type of junction, means a point at which two or more conductors are connected together. But we don't need to rip into any yet because those that were in question have since been ruled out.

but should I ohm them out before I go and unwrap all that tape and wire loom stuff?
If you like wasting time, who'm I to stop you? You don't need to do any of that.

So far we've established that the conductors connected to the relay contacts (the switching part) are just fine because the fkin jumper powered the transmission up just fine. We know that you're getting the coil power because you measured it when you probed pins 85 and 86. So there's no reason to think about the wiring along the connections we know are good.

We're at a hotel and about to head out to dinner, so I'll take a gander at the manual a little later and suggest a way forward.

Quick Reply: high amp Battery Drain